2. Race day

I never exactly loved race day. I think the nerves got the best of me. I always started breaking a sweat before I was even in the car. Fernando always told me this was normal, but yet it seemed he was never anxious, never had a trembling bone in his body.

But the real moment, when anxiety hit me, was when I saw my dad, always excited, easy-going and happy, but when it came to racing, he was stern, he believed in discipline and fighting for what you want and those are the beliefs I live by every day. Or atleast try to live by.

My dad came to pick me up at the hotel where me and Lando were staying because he has always driven me to every race ever and I don't think that's a tradition he was planning to break soon, that was also where my jitters began.

"Morning dove, hope you got a good nights sleep. There's a bagel and coffee on the backseat if you want breakfast." It was always the same breakfast, with the same playlist playing in the exact same order, to say the least, my dad was superstitious. "Thanks dad." I didn't really want the bagel but that poor mans heart wouldn't makenit if I didn't eat it.

"You ready?", he asked. I played with my bracelet that I have had forever. Honestly I was anxious, and a little bit terrified, it's my first time racing at the Lusail circuit in Qatar, and it's hot, like if I stay outside too long I'll turn in to ashes hot, but I can't admit any of that, so I say, " Oh I feel really good about it!", in a very fake over exaggerated voice, but only realizing it when the words are already out of my mouth. But it seemed like my father was in his own world, not noticing anything.

"Have you heard from Agatha lately?", I tried to ask him, and this seemed to gain his attention, but it seemed like the question had stung. Agatha was a woman he had dated on and off over the past few years, but my racing seemed to make it too difficult to continue. "Uh no, dovey. But It seems like she's happy, got a new boyfriend and all...", I felt bad and decided it was better to stay quiet for the rest of the drive.

When we arrived it was scorching, at least the car's AC made it bearable but once you've set foot outside, it felt like literal fire. I headed to the garage as quickly as possible, because the heat with everything else was too much.

"Ahh Marie! Just the person I've been looking for." I sigh, I love Alonso, but lately he's been on my case about scoring points, saying I should do more, when I'm already pushing my car past its limits. He has a lot of wisdom to share, and usually I gladly listen but I'm too damn tired for this.

"Hey Fernando", I try to match his tone of excitement and make an excuse but just as I'm about to run away from him he corners me and it's not what I expected at all." I've been wondering how you are feeling about the race? It's a tough one, it's hot and you have to be mentally prepared for today." I noticed that this wasn't his usual lecture and this came from genuine concern. I assure him I am feeling good and that I am ready, a bit nervous maybe but all in all I'm prepared. After this he lets me go to my race room and get ready for the race.