nine

⋆ nine ⋆ 

⋆ nine ⋆ 

"KY! IT'S HERE! GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE RIGHT NOW!"

Xara's room door opens, an out-of-breath Ky appearing with his phone to his ear. At the sight of him, Xara grins. "Dad already called," he tells her, the words echoing out loud and through the phone. "We got here as soon as we could."

Danielle pops up behind Ky through the door, grinning, a baby carrier on her front holding a sleeping Brielle. "And we brought company!"

It's how the whole family finds themselves in the seating room only a couple of minutes later, Danielle snacking on seedless grapes as she, Ky and Tanner Connolly sit impatiently, watching Xara stare at the envelope grasped in her hand.

It's happening. It's really happening.

Her eyes stay on the seal on the corner, one that's far too familiar by this point. NYU. New York University. The very same college her mom went to when she was young.

For most of her life, Xara knew she'd go to this university. It was her goal to be like her late mother, to follow in her footsteps doing something she loved, as if her mom was supporting her all the way. Everyone knew that was her aim, and they supported her wholeheartedly - but none more than Peter Parker.

The day after they kissed, he took her to her mom's grave for the first time in nearly ten years. He let her cry. He listened to her story. He understood.

Even when college talk started over the summer, he knew she'd apply to NYU. Even though all of her friends (save Alex) are applying to MIT, they never put any pressure on her to do the same.

But the pressure was still there.

When night falls, it feels like everything is finally normal. For the first time Xara can remember since all this went to shit, they're sitting on the hill. Their place. Their hideaway.

Peter's fingers move slowly as he clumsily attempts to braid Xara's hair, just the thought of it bringing a joyous smile to her lips. She closes her eyes, just feeling the winter air start brushing over them. Suddenly, she can't help but feel glad for the hoodie keeping her warm, one of the ones she and Peter swap interchangeably. I have everything I need and I am everything. Peter sits behind her in the other.

When he finally manages to tie it off with her hairtie, Xara can already feel bits of it coming apart. Nevertheless she just grins at his proud "ta da!", turning around to press a kiss to his lips. "It's progress," he announces firmly, refusing to take any criticism. "It's a French braid. That's a huge step up from normal braids."

"I know. I'm very proud of you."

Smiling victoriously, Peter just sighs, staring out at the stars. Xara leans against him, doing the same, although she can't help but be selfishly grateful he's not looking at her face. If he was... maybe he'd realise what she's been keeping from him.