9. The First Night: Bitch Move

We've arrived at the lake house.
We're gathering all of our stuff out of the trunk, then we head inside.
Teo's carrying my suitcase inside after insisting  on doing so.

I watch in disbelief as we enter the house. It looked beautiful on the outside, but the interior is a whole other story.
The floor is wooden, the walls are white as snow and there are plants, candles and pictures everywhere.
It is by far the coziest house I have ever set foot in, and I am surprised by Carl's parents, as I was not aware they had a taste for the quiet life.

"When I was little we used to come here every two months, wether it was for three days or a couple of weeks," Carl says, his voice trailing off.
I stop behind him and put a hand on his shoulder.
He shoots me a knowing look, then goes on showing us around.

It is almost 12am and we start picking out rooms for ourselves and start settling in.
Carl told us there used to be staff around the house when he and his parents came around often, but that they quit after his parents stopped coming around and so cut them off.
There was a hint of grief in his voice that I cannot shake.

Teo has disappeared with Elijah and Carl after Hazel, Grace and I are getting ready for a swim, since there is a massive pool in the backyard — no surprise there.

"So El..." Hazel starts, while fixing my makeup. Grace is on my bed in her bikini, already going back to her book. I love how invested she can get in a good book.
"Yeah?" I ask, already suspicious.
"What's the deal with you and Teo? You can't convince me that the two of you are just friends.
I mean you haven't made new friends in two years, it's always just been us."
Shit. I mean what she says makes sense, I don't usually make new friends.
I've never had a problem with telling my friends about a crush, but this is different somehow.

Maybe part of me doesn't want me to admit my feelings for him. If that's what they are.

"I—" suddenly there's a knock on the door.
Thank God.
"What?!" Hazel yells.
"Can I come in?" Carl yells back, on the other end of the door.
"Sure."
Carl comes in and he has a bottle liquor in hand.
"I was gonna say that we're setting up the jacuzzi, but by the looks of it, y'all are already prepared," He says.

"We where going for a swim, but your idea sounds way better," Grace says, she excitedly puts her book down and jumps from the bed, following Carl out the door.

Once they're out the door, Hazel continues finishing my make-up.
Once she's done I am ready to get up but Hazel stops me.
"Hold up girl, you're not going anywhere until you've answered my question," she says.
"Are you for real?" I ask, unable to not sound annoyed.
"It's a simple question if your answer would be what you say it is. That you're 'just friends'. You can tell me, it'll stay between us."
I roll my eyes and sigh.
"Jezus okay, maybe I have some feelings for him, but that doesn't matter, because it's not gonna become a thing anyway," I admit.

"Why would you say that?" Hazel asks confused.
"Because... he has a lot going on and so do I, I just don't think now is the right time. Besides, for all I care, he doesn't even like me back."
Hazel laughs. "— I can't with you. You're just afraid that you're gonna fall for him."
"No I'm not." Maybe I'm just scared it won't work out and he leaves.
"Look, forget I said anything, let's just go downstairs."
"Fine," Hazel sighs, following me out the door.

I shiver once I step outside and a cold night breeze hits me. Suddenly self awareness hits me as I realize Teo's here.
I don't feel uncomfortable showing skin around my friends, but with Teo here it's different.
I suddenly feel the need to look perfect.