Part 5

The blacksmith was known by the town as the person to stay clear of, so naturally, he was the one we would be working with the next two months. When we met him, he ignored our outstretched hands and hugged us both, tightly. The man was built like a rhino, huge and intimidating, and smelt like one too. His hands were rough, calloused, and practically stained black from all the burnt marks on them. His hands weren't the only thing burnt. His arms, face, hair, and even clothes added to the effect. He constantly smiled, or, at least, I think he was because almost all his front teeth were gone. His eyes, though -- which was about the only thing I could see clearly-- were cheerful and inviting.

"Me name's Ottosen, but me friends call me Otto." His voice was deep and energetic. "It's time to get you two skinnies to work." He bent down and wrapped a thin, but strong chain around my ankle, then did the same to Will. It was unnecessary though, for after the excitement of yesterday I didn't have the energy to run.

He took a quick up-and-down look at both of us and told me to start looking for flaws in the swords, while Will was to keep the fire going.

After hours of looking at swords, Otto finally said, "Time be up for today, come back tomorrow the same time." He bent down, unlocking our ankle chains with a small key, then stood up and handed us each a small loaf of bread. "This is your wage for the day. Now be going on back to your inn."

"You mean the dungeon?"

"Same thing, same thing."

A guard came to escort us back as Otto hugged us goodbye. When we left I bit into the bread. I didn't even realize how hungry I was. It was the finest food I had ever tasted.

On the path the guard was leading us, an old man, worn and feverish like he had a sickness, held out his hands for food. But it was obviously a fruitless hope. No one was going to give a man who was close to dying the food they had earned themselves. I laughed at his weakness and my good fortune -- at least good compared to his.

Then Will did the dumbest thing I'd ever seen him do. He gave the bread of which he had hardly made a dent in to the man. As he placed it in his hands, and the man looked at Will with complete surprise and love. He must've thanked him a hundred times before we were out of earshot.

I turned to Will with a smirk and said, "Now you will starve all day while I have a full stomach." But he just smiled.