In The Real World

In a human world not too different from our own. Scratch that it was our world, a depressed gender neutral child around the age of twelve found themselves attempting to track down the "haunted" headset from the rumours that had been going around recently.

Their parents were at work like they always were, their mom being a full time nurse and their dad was probably.... somewhere, eh, they didn't care either way it just gave them more time to do whatever they wanted. They wandered the city going through dumpsters and searching thrift stores until finally at a small resale store in the basement of a different much larger business they found a headset that matched the description of the headset from the urban legends from all over the internet, social media, and even their school.

They returned home, prize in hand along with a charger they found with it. They opened the door to find no one waiting for them as always, they walked inside not bothering to take their shoes off, plugging the headset into the nearest outlet in the living room before plopping down onto the couch and opening their phone.  They scrolled TikTok for a while before they heard a beep that was coming from the headset signifying that it was fully charged and ready to go. Bout before going and trying to enter the digital world where people supposedly disappeared into and never returned from, she went to make some food. Going to make some food, they chose to make a PB&J sandwich. They devoured the sandwich (made with toasted bread btw you should try it it's so good) and walked back into the living room.

Gray walked up to the headset and picked it up, unplugging it and turning it on. They took a deep breath  before putting it on.....