Chapter 7

The first thing Sophie registered was that she was still holding Tam's shoulder and instantly let go. Tiergan's hand dropped to his side so he could hold his stomach. "Yeah, I agree, never again." Tam said. Sophie couldn't believe that was all he said. He had dragged them down here, into what had to be a trap, with probably no way to contact anyone, and definitely with no way out. The first time she'd been trapped underground with Keefe, she'd had to use another Unmapped star. But this time, she didn't have another one. "That's all you have to say?! Tam, we don't have a way out! Our Imparters and panic switches probably don't work down here, this was most likely a trap, and the three of us are stuck here without food or water. The air in here won't last long. Our chances of survival are very low right now!" Tiergan laid a hand on her shoulder. "In these situations, it's best to stay calm, Sophie. We'll find another way out." Sophie rubbed the knot under her ribs, tying her anger and fear into strings and stowing them away. "I'm afraid you won't." Before anyone could react, a dome of light separated Tiergan and Sophie from Tam. A cloaked figure stepped out of the shadows, but Sophie knew who it was. "Ruy."

Chapter 8

"I see your ability came back, huh?" Sophie taunted, knowing she would hit a nerve. She could see the smirk on his face through the shadows. "You knew this was a trap and still came? Oh, you really are pathetic, Sophie." Ruy shot back. "She's pathetic?" Tiergan asked. "You were the one on bedrest for how long after getting affected by Tam's shadowflux?" Ruy didn't answer. Instead, he turned to Tam. "Rematch, boy. I believe you know the terms." Then he pulled Sophie out of the force field and smirked at Tam. Sophie kicked him in the shin, but he didn't let go. "I heard all about your enhancing ability, Sophie. If you don't help, your trapped friend dies." Did Sophie mention she really hated Ruy? "Sophie, don't listen to him." Tiergan said, a look of wild fear in his eyes. She didn't want to help Ruy, but she wasn't losing Tiergan, either. "Tick-tock, Sophie." She looked at Tam, mouthed, 'I have a plan.' And flipped the switch on her enhancing, letting her fingertips grow warm with energy. But she didn't have a plan. Ruy snickered. "Say hello to the Ancients for me." Tam scowled, gathering the shadows around him. "The only death that'll happen is yours." Sophie just had to forget her gloves. Tam shot a beam of darkness toward Ruy's beam of light, and when the two met in the middle, they went back and forth, until Tam needed to roll away to avoid getting hit with a blast of light. He threw a beam of shadows that narrowly missed Sophie. "Ah, you don't want to hurt her now, do you?" Ruy taunted, trying to trap Tam in another dome of light, but Tam broke through it with his shadowflux, narrowly missing Ruy. "You've got good aim, boy." Sophie grunted when Ruy shot multiple beams of light, still trying to come up with that plan that she didn't have. Ruy would drain her if she didn't come up with something. After Ruy shot beams of energy, the plan slapped her, and she ran around the room. "Sophie–what are you–?!" She pictured the field of what she thought had been a place named Elysian, let the energy build in her mind, and shoved it out, causing a loud thunderclap and the rock wall ahead of her split open. Then a sharp pain ran through her leg, one she remembered from Umber's attack, and she barely made it through the portal in time with Ruy.