Visitors

Eva paced in Kousuke's office, looking distraught and tired. " There is no use denying it any more Eva."

" I tell you that's impossible!" She turned back to him, glaring furiously.

" But all the evidence we have points to-"

" It's not him, Kousuke! There is no way, maybe someone else... someone who knows everything about him, where he had been, who he contacted..."

" Well then how do you explain what happened with you!" Kousuke stood up and pointed at her. " The scans were clear Eva, both William and Prof Oozora confirmed it! I doubt anyone could hack you that easily!"

" That... that means nothing.... Maybe they were traces left from before..."

" The timestamps say otherwise." The blond man fell back on his chair and leaned against his right hand. " Eva..."

The woman refused to look at him. " It's not him... he would never... not after everything we had been through..."

" How are you sure?" The blond asked her calmly and red eyes flung his way, trying to discern his words. " He said he couldn't assure he wouldn't do the same as years ago. He doubted himself. Why are you so sure?"

Eva walked up to the table and stared down at him. " Because that's what I should do. When he doubts himself, I'm the one who is supposed to clear his doubts and assure him he won't do it. That's practically my job as his older sibling." Kousuke looked away from her.

" We should tell Takuya and the oth-"

" We can't!" Kousuke's eyes met hers again and he could tell how much hard the few days had been for her.

" If you're sure it wasn't him then there is no reason for you to keep it a secret."

Eva took a few steps back and turned around, marshaling her thoughts before confronting the man again. " You're right, I'm not 100% sure it's not him. So in the slightest possibility of it being him, I don't want any of them to get involved in this. I will uncover the truth myself."

Kousuke shook his head. " That's too much for you. You need help... please."

She held his look before shaking her head slowly and marching off to the door. Kousuke let out a deep breath and leaned back on his chair. " She would be the death of me, that stubborn."...

***

Eva however didn't expect to come home to find visitors awaiting her arrival. " Ban, Jin, Elie..." she began when she stumbled into the living room and found all three of them talking with Jiiya. " I didn't know you already came back." She sat beside Elie and they hugged tightly.

" It's been a while and... I see you're doing a good job neglecting yourself," Elie said in a mixture of admonishing and delight at the meeting of her friend. " Well, it's about time I get to give you a makeover."

" Hold your horses." Eva laughed. " You've just arrived. Take it easy. Then..." she looked past Elie at the two other men. " How are things going in A Nation? Is everything fine? How did your validation go, Ban?"

The man bit down a groan and sighed. " Not very good."

" Eh? But the blueprints you showed me were great!" She protested.

" Yeah, there it comes the problem. I didn't even get the chance to present them."

" Why?"

" That's exactly why we decided to come by here first, Eva." Elie looked the blonde in the eye and Eva could take a guess at what was happening.