2) 𝕌𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕎𝕖𝕒𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣

🅴︎🅿︎🅸︎🆂︎🅾︎🅳︎🅴︎ #2
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Sᴜᴍᴍᴀʀʏ:
Steven caught a cold. But, it turns out, he wasn't the only one who is ill
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"S-Seriously, you guys really don't have to do all of this, you know?"

Amethyst has been protesting Spinel's insistence of helping clean up the rest of the debris of Peridot's ship, same as Steven who wants to assist as well.

"Yeah, we know," Steven simply responded with a bright smile as he gingerly plops the broken ship parts he was carrying onto a stacked pile.

"Ok... sooo, why are ya still helping me then," Amethyst deadpanned as she tried pulling out a big deformed chunk of metal that's deeply burrowed in the sand.

But she was having trouble lifting it, so Spinel walked up in front of the purple gem.

"Just think of it as a genuine thank you for what you had done for us," Spinel assured, kneeling down to help pull out the buried metal together, both of them eventually getting it out of the sand.

"Done for you?" Amethyst snatched the heavy metal piece off Spinel's hands to independently carry it in her stubby purple arms instead. "I barely did anything but let you stay in my messy room and give you one simple tour."

"Hm," Spinel playfully hummed before leaning onto a sturdy metal pile with a teasing smirk. "Well if that's what you think, then maybe you still have more room to prove yourse- AH!"

Turns out, the pile wasn't so sturdy afterall to hold Spinel's weight. It tumbled down, along with Spinel falling into the scattered debris.

The comical antic made Spinel look embarrassed, and also caused Amethyst to let out an endeared chuckle before reciprocating the playful demeanor.

"Oh, will do, Spins. But since you caused this mess, you now have to prove yourself, too," the purple gem teases as she picks up some rubble in her arms. "You make it up for me while I'm out getting rid of this pile. Be right back."

With that, Amethyst started walking away confidently as Steven helped Spinel get free from the wreckage she scattered. "You okay, Nelly?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Spinel assured as she scratched her head. "Sorry 'bout that, didn't mean to ruin the hard work."

"That's okay, we can still fix it up again while Amethyst is away... About that, by the way, Spinel..."

The heart gem stopped clearing the debris and made eye contact with the boy. "Yes, Steven?"

"I... really like what you're doing for Amethyst right now, and once it's Monday, you'll also work at the Big Donut for her as well," Steven appreciates with a soft smile.

"Yeah, I know. Thanks, Steven... but... don't get your hopes up too high," Spinel added as she reassuringly ruffled the hybrid's hair. "We still don't know much of Amethyst, and I'm still not technically all besties with her and stuff."

The boy's eyes cast downwards at that, his smile slightly faltering, and Spinel frowns sadly at it.

Her hand trails down to comfortingly cup his cheek. "I'm sorry, Steven. It's just that I still feel like I can't trust her yet... like she's hiding something."

Steven hums in thoughts as he looks down at his fidgeting hands. "...That's okay, Spinel, I can't entirely blame you after what we had been through. But since you can't do it, then I will trust that Amethyst is a good person and a great friend. High hopes or not, I'm sure that she's at least trying her best for things to be okay."