Mistakes ~ 8

~December 25, 2022- Christmas~

I held the flowers shakily in my hand.

My fault. All my fault. Monster. Monster.

The same words went through my head all day, since I had woken up. In the hospital. I needed no medical attention, but when I woke up, I knew something was wrong as soon as I saw that Dean wasn't there. He would've came, even if I had a paper cut.

I made my mom check me out early, but they wanted me to come back for daily visits to check out my... powers.

My mom refused to tell me anything until we got out to the empty end of the hospital parking lot, in case I had another anxiety attack.

I didn't. I couldn't believe it.

But here I am now, shakily walking into his hospital room.

Davyn's Room.

~Present Day~

Our new apartment was a bit like Dean's, with the beautiful glass window overlooking the city, but mine seemed a bit fancier.

Makes sense, mine was mostly paid for by Nova... while Dean has about no means of making money.

I looked out the window.

Speaking of Nova, there it is.

Not directly across the street was Nova Tower, standing in all of its glory. Just looking at it, I could already feel butterflies in my stomach.

Tomorrow, I have to face all of that. No more hiding behind obscurity. Time to face my fears.

The tower was large, even larger that the tall glassy towers that stood next to it. It was metallic looking, and the windows looked like those windows where you can see outside from the inside, but the outside can't see inside. All I saw was metallic mirrors, which blinded me in the sunlight.

The light wasn't too bad though, especially for a girl made of it.

"They should give us more time to get settled before we send you in." My mom commented. "I mean, how are we even going to find your costume through all this luggage and boxes?"

My costume. I forgot about that. I honestly didn't want to wear it, even though I did look a bit bad-ass in it. It wasn't that it was uncomfortable, it was just that it was... different. You would surely stand out in a crowd, wearing that.

"I know you don't want to, Skye. But you know you have to if you want to preserve your identity."

I groaned. "But why do I have to?"

My mom made a face at me, then resumed carrying the boxes in from the front door, and I decided to help her.

"You know exactly why. What would've happened on the train today if people recognized your face?"

"Well, that guy knew me already..."

"Yeah, because you wouldn't shut your big mouth."

"Hey!" I exclaimed, sitting down on a sturdy-enough box.

She stopped with me, and put her hands on her hips. "You know, also that you're probably a lot younger than everyone else there. I mean, sixteen and saving the world?" She trailed off and bit her nails, then hurried out the door to retrieve more boxes.

I opened the box under me to reveal my glittering mask, and underneath, my costume. It wasn't exactly the most stealthy costume, from what I've seen so far. And not something I wanted to show up with on the first day.

"Mooom, are you sure I can't just wear the mask, and have on some white jacket that matches it or something? Please?"

All I could see was her head sticking around the corner.

"Nope! Go make me and my designs proud!"

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•

Thanks for reading!

General Comments ->