Solar Eclipse ~ 30

Ayden quickly sipped the rest of his coffee and walked out the door before I could think.

"Wait, Ayden No! You can't go. He told me-" I caught myself as Ayden turned around. "I mean I think nobody should go or it will end badly."

"Iris, don't you realize I have to? It's my duty. I'll be leaving soon, so I have to do everything I can to help you. I won't go off without a final fight."

"Ayden but-" I protested, but he put his hand on my shoulder.

"Iris, stay here. Please. Don't get caught in the crossfire." His eyes were sympathetic, but I shrugged his hand off my shoulder.

"I'm coming with you. If you risk your life, why shouldn't I? I'm in the same boat as you." I answered, crossing my arms.

Ayden looked lost for a moment. He looked wanted to say something but he couldn't; that he was hiding something.

"What is it?" I asked, and his face smoothed over.

"Nothing. Fine, you can come, but promise you won't do anything dumb. No matter what happens," Ayden answered, and he turned and started running.

We ran down the streets of Magna City, our boots clunking on the metal streets.  The streets were mostly empty since the citizens were presumably crowded around Eclipses speech zone. I was surprisingly able to keep up with Ayden because of my many years racing through the farm fields with Dean. And then the many years I was alone, running through the empty fields to make me feel like Dean was still there with me. I was blindly following Ayden down the streets, hoping he knew where he was going. I was completely unfamiliarized with the city, since I had only been there a few action-packed days. I followed Ayden into a dead-end alley, and he turned around.

"I'm sorry Iris," he said, and then his body was engulfed in flames. His clothing burned off to reveal his costume underneath, and he blasted off into the sky. I stood there motionless for a moment, unaware of what just happened.
"Seriously, Ayden?" I yelled into the sky.

I hustled to the next store over, where a burly guy sat at the counter.
"Can you tell me directions to Lautus District, at umm... Mendax Square?" I asked him frantically. He made a face at me and nodded to the map on a cart next to him. In the background on the TV I heard Eclipse speaking.

"... These heroes aren't here to save you, don't you see?"

"Oh, thank you," I grabbed the map from the shelf and started flipping through it when he grabbed it from my hands.

"You have to pay," he said in a gruff voice.

I hesitated. I didn't have any money, so I decided to use the 'superhero excuse'. I crossed my arms, "But I'm Lady Iris."

"...They are leaving the city now, and leaving only one, which they presume to be the weakest."

He rolled his eyes, "And I'm Jeff. Now pay up."

"I'm trying to save the city," I snapped.

"...Don't you get it? They are fleeing."

Eclipses speech was not helping my persuasion.

"Personally, I want Eclipse to win," Jeff said nonchalantly. My lips tightened into a thin line.

"...They are no heroes, if they are willing to leave you in what they believe to be a major threat. They are traitors."

If Eclipse was here right now I would've slapped him in the face.

"Eclipse, stop." I heard a familiar voice on the TV. Ayden's. Ayden you dumb hero. Eclipse specifically told me I shouldn't let anyone appear.