Chapter 18 - Surprise Wake-Up

Something rang annoyingly loudly. Sarah groaned and buried herself deeper into the bed. My alarm...? No, it's too panicked for that. She moaned, turned on her side to block one ear, and stretched out a hand to find a nearby pillow to press it against her other ear. She couldn't find one and settled for simply clasping a hand on it.

This worked for a little while, until the irritating doorbell rings were joined by loud, persistent knocking. She groaned again and rolled over on her bed to check the clock on her nightstand. She must've been closer to her bed's edge than she thought because she fell off. She grudgingly opened her eyes and sat up, rubbing her head and glancing irritably at where the bedroom door was.

At least, where the door should've been. This new door was in the center of the room, a bit deeper into a small hallway, and instead of one window behind her bed, there was a wall lined with them, from floor to ceiling. The early morning light drifted in, showing her the modern furniture in a large, nearly-empty living room. She was on the floor next to a black couch, not her bed. Instead of watermelon decor, she saw bleak colors and a collage of pictures on the wall.

Sarah stared around blankly at all of this, the grog slowly fading away. How did I get into Michael's apartment? she asked herself. Am I having sleep-walking vision dreams now?

She shivered and rubbed her arms. They were thicker than she expected. She looked down at herself and flushed. She wore shorts and no shirt. But instead of what she was expecting, her chest just looked like a guy's with abs. Sarah flushed even more and sat up, completely rigid. She scrambled to her feet, feeling taller than she was used to. Her feet landed on something soft, and she looked down to see Michael's hoodie on the floor. She scooped it up and put it on.

It's not just his apartment. I'm in Michael's body too.

She hugged her arms out of habit, but when that wasn't comforting, she flung her arms away and paced the room, trying to remember what happened. She remembered detention with Julie and Jen, Michael studying with her, they almost kissed, and then she went to bed.

"Sarah, open up!" A girl's voice called.

She stared at the door, wondering who on earth could be that insistent to talk to Michael. She took a deep breath. The voice sounded familiar. She tottered to the door and looked through the peephole.

Sure enough, a pair of narrowed, stern blue eyes took much of the view. Blonde wisps of hair fluttered as the girl turned to ring the doorbell some more. She walked back, showing she was still wearing the tank top and shorts Sarah went to bed in. She knocked on it a few more times.

Sarah gasped and stumbled back.

"Uh, who are you?" Sarah quavered. It was weird to hear Michael's voice so timid.

"Sarah, it's Michael. Let me in," Sarah's voice answered back.

Sarah swallowed. Should she? Taking into account how she has Michael's voice and his (very cute) body, it could really be Michael. But she knew the Huntress needed him for something, and this could be a good way to do it. What if Sarah lets this person in, and they come in and ransack the place or try to do something terrible to her, er, him?

"How do I know it's you?" She asked incredulously, squinting her eyes at the peephole.

Sarah's body smiled for a second. "Heh, I'm rubbing off on you. Fair enough. Uhm, my mom doesn't remember she has two sons; I'm annoyed with Julie for making me say 'cheese' instead of just asking for a picture; I have no idea how I woke up in your body, and I'm guessing you're in mine; aaand—uhm—I really liked almost kissing you."