Chapter 27 - Being Bait

Sarah opened her eyes, ignoring the pounding headache at the back of her head. Bright light blinded her, and she grimaced, forcing herself to stand up. Metal bars met her fingertips when she reached out, and once her eyes adjusted to the blinding light, she saw she was in a small, circular cage.

"Oh, hey, you woke up." A boy's voice called beside her. "You were out for a while. How're you feeling?"

"I'm... fine?" Sarah looked over to see a small boy in a separate cage similar to hers. He looked frail and had kind, blue eyes and black hair. "Oh, hello, Alex. Where are we?"

"Ah, we must've met when I was enslaved. Who're you?" Alex shrugged. "And honestly, no clue. Usually, she keeps me in a dark room with the rest of the slaves. She doesn't really let me see or remember much of her castle, but this room kinda looks like a ballroom, I guess?"

Sarah scanned the room. It was huge, with golden tiled floor, a high ceiling, and lots of windows and chandeliers brightening up the place. A few small tables and waiting chairs lined against the outer walls. "Good guess. I'm Sarah, uh... Michael's girlfriend."

"Michael...? Like... my brother, Michael?"

"Yeah. Is... that okay?"

"I guess so. Kinda weird to think my brother has a girlfriend." He scrunched his nose. "It feels like seeing your teacher at a grocery store."

Sarah laughed. "I don't think it's that weird, but knowing his reputation at school, I guess I can see where you're coming from."

"He has a reputation?" Alex asked. "I guess you could call it that. I thought he was a goody-two-shoes bookworm, but he did come home with a lot of love letters. So I guess girls somehow think he's cool." Alex shuddered. "Somehow," he added unnecessarily. He sighed, leaning back against the cage. He looked over at her thoughtfully. "Is he... okay?"

Right, Alex wouldn't know the current version of Michael after he got attacked by Hunter's temptation spirit and cursed by the spirit queen.

"Uhm, he's fine, I guess. He's been searching desperately for you. He even got wolf powers to defend himself."

"He's got wolf powers?! No fair, he always gets the cool stuff first."

"Well, the powers aren't perfect," Sarah admitted. "And he can make pretty rash decisions."

"Do you think he's coming to save us?"

"If he's not here already." Sarah sighed bitterly. "I'd check, but I've been trying and my powers aren't working." I can't even see what I'll have for breakfast next month.

"You have powers, too?" Alex huffed. "Sarah, you keep starting with the wrong details. What're your powers?" He beamed. "Are you strong or can move things with your mind?"

Sarah smiled. This real, not enslaved version of Alex reminded her of Kael. "I'm afraid not. I'm not a superhero. I can just see people's pasts and futures. Sometimes the present, but I've only been able to do it once, which I didn't even do on purpose."

"Ah, so you tried to see where Michael is?"

Sarah nodded. "Yeah, but no luck. I think I'm too tired."

"One of the hunters gave you a shot of something. I thought it was to keep you unconscious, but maybe it was to mess with your powers."

Sarah stiffened. Did... Did she steal my powers?

"Don't worry though. I'm sure they'll come back after a while. She likes to keep spirits defenseless until she can ship them out. Well, since we're both important to Michael, I guess that's why we're here in the ballroom."