Chapter 1

" Meerab beta...get ready we are getting late dear. " Called my mother from another room. She and my dad are so excited to go back to the begum mahal for some functions. But I am not excited at all.

" Aa rahi hoon.. [ coming ]." I replied to her. I sat down to untie my ankel bells. Begum mahal is in hyderabad...before moving to karachi we were neighbours. That family is still recognized as a royal family in Hyderabad. Now they are more of a zamindar kind...but they have the attitude of rulers.

I grew up with three kids of that royal family. And I never look forward to going back there but my faith always pulls me there...always dragging me to face the one person whom I never wish to see.....Murtasim Shahnawaz Khan.

I did everything pleaded, fought and cried but my family didn't agree. They want to take me back to that house...and here I am following their orders.  I hate it when I have to do things that I don't want...so to calm my nerves I was dancing on my favorite song...but guess I have to go now.

" Baba...do we really have to go? " I asked him while getting out of my room with my bag. My lawyer father who is now working with my mom looked up and said " And I thought we were done arguing about this topic. " I can never be done about it.

" Baba you know I don't like them...their old beliefs and traditions "  I said sitting on the sofa. " Meerab you're  making fun of someone's tradition... I thought you were better than this. " Said my Ammi in an angry tone.

" I am not making fun...it's just that I don't like it. " I told my mom. " You don't have to like it. We are going for a week. It's Mariam's birthday...we will attend the  party and will be back soon. We aren't getting you married there " said my mother and that sounds like a nightmare.

" Areee( Hindi expression) ...that reminds me don't take your Ghungroo with you...you know bhabi begum doesn't like it when you dance. " Added my mother and now you know why I hate that mahal.

" I don't care if she likes it or not..I am going to take them. You know I love dancing. And you know I want to apply for Phd in dance...I have to practice. " I reminded her again.

" Ek hafta mein kuch nahi hoota ( Nothing will happen in a week )...okay practice without ghungroo...but you're not taking
them " she said in a I don't want to argue voice. So I had to nod...guess I have to practice barefoot.

" Now let's go. " Commanded my mother and we are bound to follow her. who can go against supreme court.

With bags and everything we sat in our car. Baba is going to drive us there. I sat with my headphones on...cant listen to my mother's lecture about respect bhabhi begum...don't fight with murtasim.

I know that big mahal like the back of my hand. I used to play with the kids of begum mahal. Mariam is the sweetest girl in that house...and I used to love playing with her. She is soft spoken and very studious.she is murtasim's biological sister.

Murtasim on the other hand was a little prince from birth. Always doing stuff he likes and never listening to others. Since he was the only male in the house...he was spoiled....and for that attitude of his...I never liked him. And the feeling is mutual between us. 

He has a cousin called Haya who is obsessed with murtasim. When we were little she always used to stick to murtasim like glue. Too bad murtasim never noticed her.

She never liked me either. She saw me as threat. Whenever I talked with murtasim she would always get jealous. Not gonna lie...I did talk with murtasim sometimes to make haya jealous...but thats in the past. And now I don't care about anything.

When my parents told me about the function I thought finally murtasim was marrying haya. But no...it's Mariam's birthday.

Begum mahal is standing on some strict rules. Rules which I don't like. I can't even do the one thing I love....dance. salma begum ( murtasim's mother ) has made some strict rules for the family and I feel like a caged bird whenever I go there.

when I was there I couldn't participate in anything...any function any event Maa begum will decide whether I will participate or not.  And she never agreed for anything. And I never understood why my father listened to her without any complaints.

When we moved to Karachi...I was more free. Here I did what I like and I was glad that we moved away from there. But not for long...I had to spend my vacation there with that family.

I once told my father they're not our family. But baba said his bhabi begum did a lot for him so he can't disobey her. He has to follow her orders.

This time I am more disstressed...baba is going to talk about my Phd with his
' babhi begum ' my future and my dreams depends on it. My dream to open my institution for girls to learn dance and to revive the old classic dance....hope it doesn't die. Hope things go well.

In begum Mahal

Mariam ( POV )

" Haya birthday mera hai...( Its my birthday ) tum kiu dulhan ban rahi ho ( why are you getting ready like a bride?) " I asked her. She is currently sitting in a chair with a face mask on.

" Aree..I am your future bhabi ( sister in law )...I have to look good right." she said...she and her big dreams. Like bhai will ever marry her.

" Be fast...college nahi jana. ( You will not go to college)  " I asked her. " No" she said and I don't want to waste time on her. I took my bag and was about to leave when I heard her calling me back.

" Anil uncles family is coming...she coming too? " she asked sitting up.
" Who meerab....yes she is coming
too. " I told her.

" I hate her....she makes murtasim angry and he than doesn't talk with anyone..I just hate her. " said haya and I don't know why she doesn't like meerab. Yes bhai and meerab fights a lot but meerab never said anything bad to haya.

" Everyone treats her like a little princess forgetting about me. " Said haya with a sad face. " She is a guest ofcourse we will treat her nicely. " I told her.

" You don't understand why I don't like her. Go...go away with your big books..." she said lying back. Well I don't have all day to console this little madam. I took my bag and came out. Good luck with her overthinking.