Chapter 9

Meerab [ POV ] 

We arrived in our house . I don't understand why Anwar chachu ( uncle ) is mad about my performing in the stage. Like my father has no say in it than why is he so angry about it.

He angrily ranged the bell ..hope he doesn't bother our neighbours. Soon Dad opened the door, he is in his night dress and he is really surprised.

" Anwar... come in ...." he said and we all came inside. " Murtasim... Mariam.... everything okay? " asked Abbu looking really worried.

" You were sleeping so peacefully, did you even knew where was your daughter? " asked Anwar chachu to my father. " She was having a program today , a dance program went to attend that with her friend. " replied my Abbu to him.

" Oh ! So you knew about it and still you let her go . You don't think about our family reputation....you don't care about her ..." said Anwar uncle.

" Your sudden care for her is also funny but I never commented on it ...did I ? " said Abbu and Anwar chachu made no reply.

" I trust my daughter. It was just a program nothing to worry about. " he said and turned towards my Ammi and said " show them rooms to rest. Also see if they're hungry..." he said and my ammi nodded.

" Murtasim, Mariam...have some rest and we will talk tomorrow. " Said Abbu and both of them left with my Ammi. Now it's just Abbu and Anwar chachu in the room .

" Bhabhi begum has explained you several times not to give her so much freedom. But no . ...why would you listen to us ? " he kept complaining.

" You were here to explain her for the marriage not to let her dance on programs. " he said it angrily but his tone sounded so bad.

" Their is nothing to discuss about it. I said I wouldn't marry murtasim...I meant it. I wouldn't marry him. " I have given my final decision to him.

I don't want to be the  Bird of that golden cage. It's better to avoid that marriage. " See...how she behaves with her elders ... answering back. Is this how you have raised her . " asked Anwar uncle.

" Meerab watch your tone he is your elder. " said Abbu to me. " Anwar if you ask questions...than you will get answers.. atleast I thought that's how the process works. Well let me talk with her. You promised. " Said Abbu.

Anwar chachu wanted to say something but at the end he just went inside. Now it's just me and Abbu in the room. " Beta please change and meet me in the garden. " he said and I nodded. He sounds serious.

I quickly removed my makeup and changed into something comfortable . My Abbu sounded really serious, I did everything very fast and came in the garden. He is sitting on the garden swing with a book in his hand.

I slowly walked up to him and he showed me the empty sit. " Here beta eat something. " he said handing me a bowl of noddles. Everytime I come back late from program or sometimes when I used to study late night , he used to make noddles for me.

That's like our little thing . " Thanks Abbu I was super hungry. " I told him and started eating. He is watching my old pictures. Some really embarrassing photos are there don't know why they keep them.

I eat and he pointed at pictures and telling me few things . I placed the noddles bowl on the table and sat back again to watch the pictures when he said " That's the day you came in our life Meerab , we meet for the first time. " he said and that doesn't make much sense.

" Meerab you have grown up. And I believe that now I can share things with you and you will understand them like a mature girl. " Said Abbu and his speech is making me scared.

" I used to practice in Hyderabad and used to handle cases for begum mahal . I was good friend of Anwar . He ...I know you will not trust was a very Jolly man. He used to love life ...and his life was his wife Begum Mirza. " he said, I have heard her name before. Saw her pictures in Albums and I don't know why I feel like I know her. I have no idea why I feel like that.

" I still remember that day , Anwar was very happy that he was going to be a father, he has disturbed sweets to everyone. It was such a huge news for everyone. But Begum Mirza wasn't that healthy and with time her health became worse. " Said Abbu , I never knew what happened to her ...did she did during childbirth?

" When the date of delivery came she was so sick. She lost lot of blood during childbirth ...and when her child saw the light of the day...she closed her eyes. Didn't even get the chance to hold her baby....." I suddenly got startled as Ammi sat behind me. She is holding a wooden basket in her hand. The basket which she never let me touch or open. All my life I wondered what is their in it.

" Anwar was heartbroken, he didn't eat or drink for three days , he was numb...he didn't even hold his baby. He was in a closed room ...and when he came out he didn't want to do anything with the child. Cause he thought the child was the reason of his wife's death. " Said Abbu.

" Doctors told her to terminate the pregnancy since it could risk her life , chances of her survival was less but she couldn't harm her child. She fought with the begum mahal to keep her child...." Said Ammi in a whisper.

" Bhabi begum didn't know what to do. She didn't wanted to give that kid to unknown people . And that time Murtasim was four years old and she was pregnant with Mariam. She couldn't care for the kid. So ...she ..she handed that kid to us. She has handed you to us. " Said Abbu and I felt like a thunder has passed through my body.

I can't believe what I was listening. I can't believe it. " Bhabhi begum said she has given you to us so that we can care for you. When Anwar was ready to be father I have to return you to him. We didn't have any kids and you came to us as the best thing that could happen to us. " he said with teary eyes and I didn't knew how to respond to it.

" You must be thinking why we are telling you about it now. Beta we haven't said anything till now cause you wouldn't have understood anything...but now your mature to understand things. And we want you to know your mother, the woman who loved you dearly, who fought with everyone for your life. " Said Ammi.

" And trust me that doesn't change anything , your still our daughter. And no one can change that. " Said Abbu and I hugged him . It's a lot to take in. The person in my life I thought of as my uncle turned out to be my father.

" Anwar has lamanted for his mistake all his life. He wants to be part of your life , he wants to know you....and I think you should give him a chance. "
Said Abbu.

" The man who literally handed away his three days old daughter to strangers....wants to be part of my life and you want me to forgive him." I asked my father and he said nothing.

" Meerab, we can't change the past but we can make our present better. I am not saying to forgive him so soon ..but you can think about giving him a chance....and see where it
goes. " said Abbu. I don't want to but I still nodded.

" Here , Mirza has left it for you. She knew she may not survive the child birth ...so she made few things for you before hand. Even few clothes that you wore as a child was made by her. She wanted you to have it so that you know her blessings are always with you. " Said Ammi handing me the box.

" Was it my fault? " I couldn't even finish the question. " No , never ...even your ammi knows it wasn't your fault. Sometimes things are not in our hands...it just happens. But you must know it wasn't your fault and both of your Ammi's love you. " She told me giving a hug.

" Mirza has given me the happiness to be the mother of the most beautiful girl in the world...and now it's my duty to let her presence be known in your life beta. To let you know what a strong mother you had in your life , to let you know that ... you're and always will be loved. " Said Ammi. I nodded.

Abbu also hugged me , I am sitting in middle of my Ammi and Abbu with the wooden box filled with memories of my real Ammi. My life has changed just in few hours.

The begum mahal which I tried to avoid so much has turned out to be my home. I don't know what I will decide tomorrow or what will I plan for future but I know here between my parents I have a safe place. My love and respect has increased for them. And I will do my best to keep them happy.