New seats.

CHAPTER THREE

The dining hall fell silent as if everyone was holding their breath. To break the awkwardness, I complimented Claire's mother. "I'm finally eating with you, ma'am. Claire's lunchbox was far from tasteless. I've always wondered how someone can cook something this delicious! Does Claire know how to cook?"

Claire's mother laughed warmly. "Oh, Diana! You're flattering me. I'm glad you like it. The truth is, no one other than Claire and her dad has ever complimented my cooking—mainly because I've only cooked for them. Claire? Well, she never had much interest in cooking. Her passions lie in writing, painting, and music. She once begged me for a cupcake recipe, which she failed to make, so I had to step in. But that's all in the past. I'm just happy she has a friend now, despite her trust issues." She chuckled.

I was both confused and curious about what had happened to Claire to make her develop trust issues. "Wha—"

Just then, Claire excused herself to use the restroom, leaving us both at the table. I wanted to ask her mother more about it, but Claire's timing was impeccable. I decided to let it go for now, knowing I'd find out eventually.

After dinner, Claire gave me a tour of her room. What I saw was incredible: her paintings, gold medals, and shields were all displayed proudly. And the parrots! They were adorable, almost like they could talk. Claire introduced me to a new game, and we played for two hours straight. As it was getting dark, I decided to take my leave. Claire walked with me to the station.

I reached home, changed into my pajamas, and sank into bed, falling asleep almost immediately.

The next morning, the school atmosphere was unusually energetic. When I entered my classroom, I noticed that the seating arrangement had changed. I picked a random chit and saw that the girl beside me wanted to switch seats. Luckily, I had the seat she wanted, so we exchanged places. Claire seemed annoyed by this.

As I settled into my new seat, I asked Claire, "What's up?"

She dragged my chair closer with one hand, startling me. Leaning toward my ear, she whispered, "Just support me, okay?" I nodded, accepting my cluelessness.

Our homeroom teacher walked in and announced, "Class, we have a new transfer student. Brad, please come and introduce yourself."

As Brad walked to the front, every girl in the room started screaming. He was undeniably handsome. Claire, however, had a look of pure disdain in her eyes. While Brad introduced himself, he kept glancing at Claire. When he finished, the teacher asked if he knew anyone who could help him get accustomed to the school.

Brad smirked and said, "Oh yeah, I know Claire here. Right, Claire?"

The teacher, surprised, said, "Oh wow, one of our brilliant students. She will help you out, Brad. Now, take your seat."

Claire stood up and said firmly, "No, I'm not interested in helping him. Teacher, please find someone else."

The teacher assigned another girl, who was eager to assist Brad. During break, Claire looked furious. I couldn't hold back and asked, "Claire? Are you okay? You look really irritated today."

Claire took a deep breath and said, "Did you see the new guy? That brat was in the same middle school as me."