I've never known someone like you

CHAPTER 1

It was early January, and snow blanketed the ground as Claire and Diana became the best of the friends. Even the weather seemed to celebrate Claire's best friendship. Diana, with her tanned skin, long silky black hair, striking grey eyes, and heart-shaped lips, was everything Claire admired but felt she could never be. Despite their differences, Diana's kindness towards Claire was something she had never experienced before.

In school, Claire had endured harsh bullying—being called names, physically attacked, and dragged around. Despite her lack of experience with fighting, Diana stood up for Claire. Their shared struggles, though painful, forged a deep and unexpected bond between them.

Claire vividly remembered the first time she saw Diana. It was the first year of high school, and Diana had just been chosen as a class representative. She was popular and had many friends from middle school, whereas Claire had none. Labeled as weird and a psycho, Claire had always been an outcast. The truth was, she was just a lonely girl longing for a friend.

Her loud behavior was a result of her isolation; she didn't know how to communicate normally. Diana's approach was a revelation. She came to Claire, despite her friends' presence, and asked her name.

"Hi, I'm Diana. What's your name?" Diana asked with a friendly smile.

"Uh, it's Claire!" Claire responded loudly, causing a few heads to turn. Embarrassed, she looked away, but Diana didn't seem to mind.

"I'm glad to meet you, Claire," Diana said warmly. "Want to hang out after school?"

Before Diana, Claire had tried to force social interactions through annoying behavior, but she had given up. Diana's kindness was a beacon in her lonely world.

Claire believed that if she remained mysterious, people might notice her. They did, but only during moments of bullying or humiliation. When her parents complained to the school, the teachers dismissed it as "just jokes." Claire was frequently used as a scapegoat for their frustrations, and she became a negative example in their eyes. She was bullied for her appearance and academic struggles, which led her to despise herself.

One day, Brad, a popular boy Claire had admired from afar, confessed his feelings for her. Claire was ecstatic and told her mother, who eagerly prepared cupcakes for him.

"You're going to give him these?" her mother asked, beaming with pride as she handed Claire the box.

"Yes, Mom! I can't wait to tell him!" Claire replied, her excitement palpable.

The next day, however, the atmosphere at school was different. People whispered and stared, and a group of girls cornered Claire. One of them, Jessica, said, "Look who's here to meet her boyfriend! She needs a makeover, doesn't she?"

They mocked her and dragged her to the roof, where they beat her up. "Happy April Fool's Day, loser!" Jessica shouted as they left Claire bruised and unconscious.

Claire was devastated and unconscious until she woke up in the hospital. The school did nothing, and she was left in deep depression. Months of homeschooling followed, and Claire struggled with the trauma of the incident. A year later, as she prepared to start high school, she saw her parents' distress. Her mother, in tears, felt helpless.

------

I had to suffer for months just because of those insolent creatures... I was homeschooled.

A year later, as I entered eighth grade, it was time for me to start high school. I saw my parents worrying about me in their room. My mother was crying, saying, "I couldn't even protect my only daughter." It felt like my heart was being torn apart. I wanted my parents to happily drop me off at school, fully satisfied that I was protected, happy, and enjoying life to the fullest.