20 | Gain

Disabled, disheveled
See himself labelled
As the broken one
Only this time it's true
Mother said to her son.
She could see the pain
Brewing inside those vain
Eyes like an ocean
Underwater rain
And that's the main.
That's the main-
All that the boy ever looked to gain

~ Ithmam Hami, 1.51 am, 21st October, 2022

Explication:

In my early days of writing poems, I used to incorporate dream elements for sure. But they were more inspired by what I was going through.

"Gain" is what I consider my first hypnagogic poem although it's not technically hypnagogic per se.

It's only based on a conversation I had with my mother - face-to-face, heart-to-heart, and for the first time in a long while.

I am not the person to open up to anyone very easily; not to my parents either. And even in this conversation, I didn't. In fact, we didn't approach a solution to my inner turmoils by any means at the end of it.

Yet, I celebrate that night and I celebrate the person that gave birth to me not because she is my biological mother but because she listened.

She got through to me on her own and tried to reach out. That's what I consider a win.

As for why hypnagogic, I say I was living a dream when it happened. All those lines and verses came very easily to me.

"Gain" will always be my magnum opus because it wrote itself. All I did was just pen it.

Here's a quiz for you. What do you think "Underwater rain" implies?