5. Naans

"Kareena meri jaan! How are you darling?" A woman dressed in a 'sari', thats what Kareena told me, comes hurtling forward.

I assume her aunt, she practically squeezes the life out of her, it was quite funny.

"Aunty ji, how are you?" Kareena asks.

"I am good! Fit and fine!" Her aunts laughs, she has a deep indian accent, her english slightly broken. however her house was immaculate and tastefully done, wooden floors and white walls, with paintings and flowers.

"Who are your friends?" Her aunt peers around her.

"Auntie these are my school friends, Chloe and Abby." The girls wave and smile at her.

"And these are my trip friends, they are in our group." Kareena says.

"Oh you all very handsome." Her aunts smiles, which in a weird way made me smile.

"Thank you ma'am." says Kian, the charmer.

"Sit, sit!" She gestures to the sofas.

We sit down. "You must be all tored and hungry, I will get Puja to make something." Her aunts says. One thing about indians is their hospitality is endless and genuine.

She didn't even know us and she treats us like Kareena.

I soon discovered Puja was their cook, this was normal in india, to have in house help, it was slightly bizarre.

A whole spread of Indian food was laid before us, bread, curry, lentils, the aromas were amazing.

"Eat, eat!" Kareena's aunt encouraged. So we tucked in and the food was divine, really authentic.

Her aunt forced me and the boys to eat at least four naans.
I was stuffed, but she just kept smiling at us and I felt obligated to eat more not to offend her. Kareena chuckled quietly next to me.

"So tell me Kareena, which university you going to?" Her aunt questions.

"I am going to Warwick University." Kareena replies.

"Not oxford?"

Kareena rolls her eyes, "No that is very difficult, I didn't get in."

I started to feel queasy.

"Oh Kareena you should work harder." Her aunt says, I felt Kareena stiffen.

"I did and I'm happy to go to Warwick doing Law." Her aunt reluctantly nodded. Warwick was a great university what was the fuss.

Her aunt asked all of us, I was intrigued to know about the others, but I didn't want to reveal mine after Kareena's revelation.

"I'm going to Manchester for Economics and Politics." Chloe says, her aunt responds by smiling, I started to think it was fake.

I could sense Abby's concern across the table for Kareena, but she answered anyway. "I'm doing art at UCL."

Sam said, " Languages at Warwick as well." Her aunt raised her eyebrows.
Kareena smiled at Sam, he returned it.

Kian jumped in, "Economics at LSE."
"Oh wow! That is best!" Her aunt said, wow she was very judgemental. I hear Kareena sigh.

"And you Jay?" She asks.

"I'm going to St Johns College to do history." Kareena's eyes widened.

"Sorry what?" Her aunt said, I sighed.

"I'm going to Oxford."

"Oh wow! See Kareena!" Her aunt cheered.

"But it all depends on our results in August." I quickly interjected. Kareena slumps, "Congrats." She smiles sadly.

"I think we should go now, we have to get back!" Chloe quickly jumps up, so we all get up.

We thank her aunt and hastily exit the house.

"Jesus fucking christ." Sam mutters.

"It was like the Spanish inquisition in there!" Kian laughs, and I nudge him in the ribs.

Kareena walks silently. "Don't take what she said to heart." Chloe puts her around Kar.

"Yeah Kar, you are a hardworker, so you didn't get Oxford so what?" Abby says.

"So what? My oarents, my family think i am failure, ever since Oxford rejected me after my interview. And my aunt is ridiculous I can't believe she acted like that.' Kar says angrily.

"Forget it Kar, and you weren't rejected your on the list so if someone doesn't meet the grades or doesn't want their place, you can get in." Chloe says.

"Thats unlikely."

"Cheer up! Warwick is amazing too okay?" Chloe says.

"I know." Kar smiles.

"And you have moi!" Sam pushes through and Kar laughs.

"How could I forget?" She ruffles Sam hair, its nice to see her happy again.

"Now to the Kingdom of Dreams!" yells.

........

Asian people seriously... i would know

Comment and vote!

-crazy10