Part one: The Orphanage

|| January 20th, 1945|| The morning was no different then any others. So I thought. I woke up, and rolled over, dim light coming from a candle in the corner of the dark room. Claudia was awake and reading, Hanna, and Irina still asleep. I sat up in the small bed, that looked identical to the one everyone else slept on. The room we were in had no windows, and if it did it would have black-out curtains.

Claudia had a book that she seemed to read, over, and over again. I didn't see why it interested her, or why she spent much time reading it. It's just a book, right? I glanced at Claudia, then to Hanna and Irina. Still asleep, as usual. For some reason I expected them to sleep more, but Claudia and I to sleep less because we were older. Claudia is seventeen, I had just turned sixteen, and Hanna and Irina are fifteen. I stood up and moved to the trunk next to the small bed.

The small old wooden trunk creaked as I opened it. I pulled a thin dark green dress from the trunk, before I closed it. As I did so, Hanna opened her eyes and yawned, waking Irina. They just glanced at me before getting their own clothes for the day. I pulled my nightgown over my head, and off, before replacing it with the green dress. I stood up and sat on the edge of the little bed, looking at my black shoes that used to be slightly shiny, but now they wer plain, and need replaced. The shoes were small, and had a hole near the heel.

I had gotten used to it though, but the thought of new shoes made me wish I had something better, but I just pulled the pair of shoes on, stilling sitting on the edge of the bed. Irina and Hanna had gotten dressed and waited for the morning bell to ring. Claudia sat looking around the room, having closed her book and setting it next to the night lamp.

We all seemed to be lost in thought, but then the morning bell rang. "Sounds like someone banged on a pot to make that-" Hanna said, trying to lighten the mood. We all marched out to the Mess Hall to eat our unappetizing breakfast, but little did any of us know, it would be more then just breakfast.