Part 5: The Night

Then it hit me. How hungry I was. All we had were a few potatoes. My stomach growled through the night as I failed to sleep. BOOM.
The city was under constant bombardment.

   The bomb shelters were packed with people. The bombs shook the roof anytime they fell. Going to the bomb cellar in the night was not uncommon, but most just stayed. I was unsure of what to do. The bomb shelters were packed with Old and young women, Men, and children. Everyone looked for refuge but there was little. Night was the sound of air raid sirens. Of explosions rattling buildings.

What could we do? The bomb shelter was temporary protection, but also a trap. Soon the Russians would be here. If they weren't already. No where was entirely safe. I didn't know what to do anymore. All we could do was wait.

The constant sounds of explosions rattled most in the bomb shelter. Kalina's blue eyes looked from one place to another, searching the bomb shelter. We were all scared.

   We heard stories of the atrocities that the Russians had committed outside of Berlin, in the countryside and in East Prussia, but no one believed it could happen in Berlin. Kalina sat down next to me as time went on.

  I felt it impossible to sleep, with all the noises, explosions, and lack of space. I leaned my head against the wall and closed my eyes.

      The rattling of the burned out light hanging from the ceiling of the bomb shelter. It felt like swaying. Endless explosions, endless whispers, endless rumors.