Part 9: Small treasures

Kalina removed the can lid from the ground. I didn't see what was so useful, but we could use it to cut things due to the sharp round edges. It seemed pretty recent. No rust on it. I don't see why we would need a can lid though. There were already knives. I suppose we should keep it though.

Kalina slightly smiled. "I guess it's something." I nodded. The corner of the grassy area behind the apartment had rocks and debris piled near the back, and caused just a area of mud. I glanced around the corner of the apartment. Two Russians sat their watching us. They sat beneath cover from a balcony.

I could see their features perfectly. One seemed eighteen or nineteen. Maybe in his early twenties. His wet, dirty blonde hair was a dirty brown since he was probaly also in the rain before taking cover. I also noticed his blue eyes. They stood out in the grey weather, but the second we locked eyes I looked away.

Someone who I assumed was his friend, seemed older sitting next to him. Probaly also in his twenties. He had black hair. Possibly could have been dark brown, but was black due to the rain. Black hair hung wet over his forehead. Both were wet from the rain and seemed unamused about the weather, but found amusement watching us.

They both had smirks in their faces. This made the uneasy sensation return. Even worse. Kalina took no notice, and continued scanning the ground for anything that could be valuable. I was pretty disgusted by the feeling of being watched.

I walked back over to Kalina. In my opinion we had spent enough time in the rain. No need to risk catching a cold. Besides the fact that I wanted nothing to do with those soldiers.

"Kalina lets get back inside." She nodded standing up.

"Let's go."

We walked walked through the grassy area, around the apartment to the entrance. The soldier with black hair sat up. His movement caught my eye, and I walked faster. Kalina saw my change in pace and sped up with me. "What's wrong?" I didn't answer her question but kept walking.

The soldier with black hair whistled, causing Kalina and I to stop and look at him. The soldiers friend turned and looked at him before slightly laughing. We probaly shouldn't have stopped walking. He motioned for us to come towards him. Kalina took a step forward, but I grabbed her arm and we continued walking.

The soldier with dirty blonde hair laughed again.

We walked back around the building. Kalina kept her eyes forward or to the ground, but I kept looking at the soldier that watched our every movement. The soldier with black hair laughed with his friend.

I pulled Kalina along. She was like my sister now. I hoped she saw it that was as well. We made it to the entrance of the apartment building, and pushed the door open. It was when we got inside we realized how soaked we were. Our boots we coated in mud, and left tracks in the building. I took them off early just to remain from leaving tracks everywhere.

I stepped up the stairs, with Kalina following. She too had taken her boots off. Once we reached the the apartment we opened the door. Eva and Ilse sat in the sitting room, conversing. When they saw they stopped talking and smiled.

"Welcome back, Girls." Ilse spoke as if we had just gone on some sort of trip.

"Did you find anything?" Eva spoke up. We shook our heads. Then I remembered the can lid. "Kalina, the can lid."

"Right." Kalina held up the can lid. It seemed pretty useless. "That's all we found." I spoke awkwardly.

Eva nodded followed by Ilse's voice. "And the soldiers?" Kalina and I exchanged glances. Why did she want to know about the soldiers, out of all things. I thought for a moment, wondering if I should tell her of the two. Before I really decided Kalina spoke.