Chapter 8

Paisley began to mince the onion with a knife she cut the onion with ease and into small pieces of onion. She then walked over to the stove placed a pot, and poured the broth she added the minced onions and sprinkled on a bit of salt and pepper for flavor. Oliver's blue eyes had watched her every movement, he then began making the macchiato beverage. Paisley hummed to herself as it kept her concentrated on the task at hand. She turned the pot of broth with a spoon and turned up the heat to a boil.

She then turned the knob to lower the temperature, she grabbed her wooden spoon as she got a scoop of the broth. She tasted it, it was delicious but missing something, she looked at the bottle of garlic salt. She smiled, she needed the garlic to the soup, Paisley sprinkled some garlic then went in for a second taste and that was what it needed, the soup had a garlic but peppery taste to it which her opinion made it so good with just a hint of salt and of course the onion within the dish. "Do you want a taste of my onion soup?" she asked curiously as she was pleased with her dish. Paisley turned the knob to the stove to turn it off.

Oliver added whipped cream on top of the frothy layer of the Macchiato. "I'll try it..." He walked over to Paisley and grabbed his spoon, he scooped up the broth, and his eyes widened as the taste hit his tastebuds, "The onion soup is really good.." he dipped his spoon into the broth again, getting another second tasting of the soup. "It's even more delicious with cheese on top!" she says excitedly as she grabs two metal bowls she puts the broth in both. Then add cheese on top and melt the cheese. She placed the bowls on the table, Oliver walked over and placed the drink beside her, and he grabbed a bowl for himself.

The two sat quietly across from each other having both silver metal spoons in their hands eating the spoon. Paisley decided to break the silence, "So.. are you and Amber hanging out later on today?" she asked then she took a sip of her drink. Oliver's blue eyes shifted from his bowl to her brown eyes, "I'm not sure, I'm quite exhausted but I may go to the beach tonight or tomorrow depending on how I'm feeling.." he sighs while rubbing his eyes. "That's understandable, how is business going for your guy's restaurant.." Paisley says while eating her soup. "Pretty well... a decent crowd of customers my mom says, what about you guys..?" He asks. "My Dad said we are getting good business, and that they are really busy." She replies.

Oliver nods as he continues eating, Paisley thinks maybe she shouldn't have gone into that much detail. She couldn't help to feel the awkwardness between the two start to grow once she tried to break it. Paisley used a napkin to wipe around her lips and dap around her mouth. She heard a ringing from her phone, she looked to see it was her Dad calling her. She was relieved that the silence between them would be broken. She answered the phone with the click of a button. "Hey Paisley I'm sorry for these last few days, we are still getting busy, how are you?" Her dad asked. "I'm doing fine Dad I was making myself an onion soup like the one grandma used to teach you and you taught me." she says.

"Ah, yes grandmother and great-grandmother's recipe I'm so glad you made it, always has been a family traditional dish!" Her dad replies. "Yep, one of my favorites." she smiles to herself. They eventually heard a knock at the door, Oliver and Paisley both looked at each other with surprise. There was another loud knock that echoed throughout the room, Oliver eventually opened it and it revealed Amber who stood in the doorway. "Who was that knocking?" Her dad asked on the phone. "It was just housekeeping checking on us." She replied. "What do you mean by us, I thought it was just you?" He asked confused. "It is just me Dad I'm just very tired Oh my god I'm so exhausted!" Paisley said dramatically. "I have to go, Dad, I'll talk to you soon."

Amber looked at them both with confusion, she kept quiet as Oliver looked at her. "Okay, I'll talk to you soon Paisley sleep well!" The phone hung up with a click. Paisley sighed with relief as a weight was lifted off her shoulder, she was not prepared to tell her dad about the situation. "What was that all about?" Amber asked curiously. "Me and Paisley don't get along but we are learning how to.." Oliver responded. Paisley nodded in agreement, Amber kept her eyes on Oliver with a smirk on her face, "What makes you two not get along?" she asked as she seemed intrigued.

"We both have restaurants that are in a secluded, town of New York where competition is the main factor," Paisley replied. "Do you want to hang out now, I have been waiting for you to call me back." Amber said with a widened smirk. "I don't know Amber I'm pretty exhausted and would like to rest.." Oliver yawned as he spoke. Amber frowned, "Are you sure Ollie?" she sighed. "Yes, I'm sure Amber maybe tomorrow." Amber rubbed his shoulders as she stood behind him, she then made her way towards the door turning the knob, "See you tomorrow then." She smiled and then shut the door behind her. Paisley was pretty annoyed that Amber wanted to hang out with him every chance she got to, even without Oliver acknowledging it.

"I didn't know she would come here.." He walked over to the table finished his soup and Paisley did the same. "Yeah, I was not expecting that was uncalled for.." Paisley watched as Oliver left the kitchen. Paisley set the dishes in the sink she figured she'd do them tomorrow. When she entered the bedroom, he was dressed in his pajamas she went into the bathroom dressed into her pajamas and then got into the bed.

The lights turned off automatically but Paisley could feel the cold wind as it hit the covers, and Oliver was practically shivering. "Paisley are you awake?.." he whispered. "Yes I am..." she replied whispering. "We are going to have to cuddle for body warmth tonight but just for tonight." Paisley moved closer to him, and he wrapped his arms around her waist keeping her close which produced more warmth between the two, she felt comfortable and he felt the same.