Chapter Six

ON my way to Ella, I came across the DJ that Derek had hired, who was in the midst of packing up his equipment

ON my way to Ella, I came across the DJ that Derek had hired, who was in the midst of packing up his equipment. I expressed my gratitude for the music and continued my journey. When reaching Ella, she was already cleaning up the disposable cups. I felt a profound sense of gratitude as I joined her in disposing of the garbage. She picked up the cups near the food table and put them in the black garbage bag. Derek emerged from behind the shed, carrying the logs in his arms. He walked towards the firepit and threw them into the already blazing fire. Finally, Jared appeared from the house holding a cooler in his hands. He had a scowl etched on his face.

"So, how mad is he?" Ella paused and looked over at Jared.

I followed her gaze, until my eyes met his. I sighed.

"Mad isn't the right word to describe how he feels right now."

I look away and continue to pick up the cups off the ground.

"Please, don't tell me you feel bad for him?" When I didn't answer her, she lifted an eyebrow. "Oh my god you do," She stopped what she was doing and placed her hands to her hips. "Reya! Come on girl. All the times you called me up crying because you guys were fighting again. Jared is my friend, but he put you through hell and you feel bad for him?"

I sighed again. "I know, I know alright. I feel stupid feeling bad for him. I just do."

She grabbed my hand and dragged me further away from the boys so they couldn't hear what we were saying. She grabbed my hands in hers.

"Sorry for what? Talk to me"

I lower my head for a minute, before looking back up at her. "I still like Jared, And I don't think that will ever go away. I just don't want to hurt him. But I'm doing a bad job of it because I really like Dillon."

Ella smiles. "Rey, hon you're human. It's okay to like two guys."

I nodded. "I know. It's hard to pick."

"Girl, I get it. But that's why you have me." Ella said as she squeezed my hands, then pulled me into a hug.

I wrapped my arms around her. Despite being a teenager, Ella had a wisdom beyond her years. Whenever I was in a tough spot, she always knew just what to say to make me feel better. Her words of comfort were like a balm to my soul, and I felt grateful for her friendship every day. Without her, I would have been lost and adrift, unsure of what to do with myself. But with her by my side, I felt like I could conquer anything. Ella's wisdom was evident in everything she did. She had a maturity that belied her age, and a quiet confidence that drew people to her. Whenever I needed someone to talk to, she was always there, willing to listen and offer advice. Her words were like a beacon of light, guiding me through the darkness and giving me hope for the future.