6

I smiled once I saw JJ walk into the coffee shop. She smiled brightly back and rushed over to me. She went in for a hug but the remembered, pulling away. I pretended I didn't notice so she wasn't embarrassed. "How have you been?" She asked me.

"It's been less than a day."

"So? A lot can change." She ordered her coffee and then we sat down at a table in the middle of the shop.

"Guess."

"Why?"

"You're a profiler. Guess."

"Ok. You're going to say you've been doing...ok. But you're actually doing terrible."

"Why do you say that?" I asked curiously.

"Something happened at the doctors office. It's on your mind, right now, it has been."

"Ok. Let's change the subject." I smiled at the barista who brought her drink over. I took a sip of mine that was already half gone.

"Why?"

"You're a pusher."

"Ok Cady Heron."

"Shut up." I laughed and I saw her eyes light up. I clenched my jaw and took another sip of my coffee. I knew that look. I wasn't stupid, I didn't have a big ego either, I just knew what it meant when someone looked at someone like that.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Your entire mood just changed." I shrugged it off and she decided not to push anymore. "I have a question for you."

"Shoot."

"You said that you weren't at your house the night Denny was there because you had a hookup." I nodded. "But you said you don't react well to being touched."

"I never said they were allowed to touch me." She raised her brows.

"Oh?"

"They don't give me anything."

"So you haven't had an orgasm...in how long?"

"No one's ever given me one. I've given myself some though." She blushed and choked on her coffee. "What? You like that image?" I teased.

"Just caught me off guard, that's all." She smiled and put her hands on the table. "So when can we have lunch?"

"I don't know." I shrugged and looked down at my coffee cup.

"Is this a bit too much for you?"

"What? No, no, I just don't know when I'm free." I lied. I didn't expect her to actually want to have lunch with me.

"Ok. Are you free at all within the next week?"

"Um...yeah, are you?"

"Maybe."

"What do you mean maybe?"

"I travel a lot for my job."

"Sounds fun."

"Do you like to travel?" I nodded. "What places do you want to go?"

"Everywhere."

"Ok, what about just in the U.S."

"New Orleans, San Diego, L.A., NYC, Boston, Nashville, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Hawaii, Atlanta...I think that's it."

"What's stopping you? You have the money." She said with a laugh.

"How do you know that?"

"You were a suspect in our case, we looked you up. You have millions in the bank, you sell your songs to big name artists." She said it like it was common sense. "So, what's keeping you from going everywhere?"

"Time." I said bluntly. She grabbed a sugar for her coffee and I watched her pour it in, my stomach churning.

"Elaborate."

"I couldn't possibly go everywhere I wanted to go in my life." I wasn't about to tell her I probably only had a couple months to live.

"It's not like you're dying." She said with a laugh. I stayed quiet and she looked up at my from her coffee. "Iris?"

"What?"

"You're not dying, are you?"

"What? No." I took a long sip of my coffee. "What gave you that idea?" She shrugged but kept her eyes on me. It was uncomfortable but I didn't want to leave. I wanted to stay with her, because there was nothing better I could be doing.

Her phone vibrated and she sighed. "Work." She said. "Gotta go to Manhattan."

"If only I could come." I laughed. She looked up at me. "JJ, I couldn't."

"It'd be fun."

"The flights are so expensive-"

"You're not poor. The Weeknd's check to you says so." I blushed.

"Ok. What the hell?" I laughed and stood up at the same time as her. I wasn't known for living the calm life, so what the problem with being spontaneous now?

"I'll see you there."