✩13. Time for the Moon Festival

"Everyone! The time has finally come for the festival we had longed for. Once in four months, we waited for the grand being to reveal itself. We feasted ourselves while enjoying its strange behaviour, but let's not forget about the dark past that took the lives of our young maidens here decades ago. Let's pray for them, and let's also pray for our future.

"And then, as you had already known, we've got visitors who are blessed by the moon to allow themselves feasted together with us in this important occasion. Those visitors are known as Sin and Ja'far. Let's hope they enjoy the festival as much as we do... And now, without further ado, let the festival begin!"

It's already evening. The empty plains now were decorated with desert flowers and various bowls of food. Traditional music escorted the villagers as they feasted together.

The villagers were laughing and chatting happily together in a wide letter U formation they made in the plains, with Ardhi sitting at the center of the formation. He wore his usual clothes, but now he's wearing a date leaves decorated turban instead of his usual headband this time. Ja'far and Sinbad both sat on his left, wearing a newly given white amulet from him.

"This is the Lunar Charm," Ardhi explained when he first gave them the glittering amulets. "This charm must be worn by every attendant during the Moon Festival. That includes the two of you!"

Ja'far observed the lunar charm closely. He noticed the charm was made from the white stone taken from the base of the lake. It was neatly carved and varnished. "Such high quality accessory..." Ja'far found himself mumbling. Ardhi's left ear twitched at his words as a wide grin formed on his face.

"Ah, you have keen eyes, Ja'far-kun!" Ardhi beamed as Ja'far looked at him in surprise. "That amulet is prepared by the village magicians. So you could say that is a magic tool! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there are four magicians here! Three of them are already in their old days, making Shafa the youngest and the most beautiful!"

"M-Magic tool?" Ja'far was too shocked and confused to hear Ardhi, but he heard that part clearly. "Does that mean--"

"Yeah! You can use it as a pocket mirror, but if you channel your magoi into it, it'll light like a torch! Very useful, isn't it?" Ardhi continued his enthusiastic outburst with a wide smile. "Everyone had one, but yours is special! It's got more complex carvings and it's silver in color! Take it home as our souvenir, and don't forget to tell your friends to visit Qadar! Oh, but don't try to sell it, y'hear? I'll be mad!"

Sinbad peeked at Ardhi and Ja'far from the corner of his eye. It had been ten minutes since Ardhi started explaining about the charm to Ja'far, but he hadn't stopped yet. "Aru, it's true that I said to be more confident about your village, but that's taking it a bit too far..."

"Sin-sama, would you like to have a taste of our wine?" Sinbad turned to a woman who sat next to his left. She was stretching a small wine glass in her hand to Sinbad.

"Oh, sure! Thank you!" Sinbad gladly accepted it and took a gulp. "Hmm! It's really quite unique!" Sinbad commented with wide smile. He turned to that woman again. "Can I have more?" He said with his charming smile, making the woman poured the wine again without hesitation. Sinbad gulped it in one go, and was ready to ask for more before Ardhi suddenly grabbed his left arm.

"No no no, I won't let you get drunk just yet, Sin!" Ardhi said while waggling his finger to Sinbad. "Not until the main agenda!"

Sinbad pouted, but didn't object. "By the way, you should explain the background of this festival to us! Not just about this amulet, Aru."

How he pitied Ja'far when he saw the white-haired man was staring blankly into the distance.

"Ah, you're right, huh..." Ardhi mumbled slowly while rubbing his chin. "Then I should introduce the cast to you. You have to listen too, Ja'far-kun!" He said as he slapped Ja'far's back lightly.