Chapter: 1

«The truth is rarely pure but never simple

«The truth is rarely pure but never simple.»

Lost in thought, you pushed the strap of your backpack, which had slipped down, back onto your shoulder. You searched for the familiar bunch of black hair, but it wasn't easy among the many groups of people standing in front of the library.

A waving arm ended your search and with a little smile, you headed in the direction of your best friend. No sooner had you reached her than you were pulled into a tight embrace. Your laughter was muffled by the body in front of you as you returned the hug.

"We last saw each other two days ago, Liv," you laughed as she released her grip around your body and smiled at you.

She shrugged as you walked towards the entrance of the building. "I hardly have anyone else but you," she said softly and you could only hear her because it was so quiet in the library. "Besides, I've missed you."

"We really should have studied the same subject," you muttered.

The three years of university would probably be a lot more fun and more exciting if the two of you sat next to each other in the lecture hall. But you knew that your passions and interests were in different areas.

Liv would probably go insane if she had to listen to daily seminars about the salinity of the sea or hear the word ‛photosynthesis' one more time. On the other hand, you would probably lose it if you had to hear the names Nietzsche, Sartre or Aristotle more than once a week.

You were aware that you shouldn't make compromises when it comes to your future. And it wasn't as if you never saw Liv; on the contrary, you saw each other practically every day at lunchtime or after your lectures.

"Are you going to the lab later?" Liv asked as you sat down at an empty table.

You let yourself sink onto the chair, exhausted from the long day and took your papers out of your backpack. "I don't think so," you replied and brushed a few strands of hair aside that had fallen into your face when you shook your head.

"Jin will be disappointed," Liv teased but you ignored her ambiguous undertone.

"I don't know what you're talking about," you said and tried to concentrate on the text you were supposed to read. However, your concentration was immediately interrupted when a hand placed itself on yours. Surprised, you looked up.

"Honestly, Y/N," Liv started and you had the feeling that you didn't want to hear the next part of her question. "What is going on between you and Jin?"

You pulled your hand out of her grip and dropped both hands in your lap as you leaned back against the chair. "Nothing," you said, but Liv raised her eyebrows. "He's a good friend, and he knows I want nothing more than that. A good friendship."

"If you say so," Liv said in conclusion, but not without giving you a quick examining look.

The silence around you tempted your thoughts to buzz all the louder in your head and from minute to minute it became more difficult to concentrate on the text in front of you. You knew that the relationship between you and Jin was purely platonic. But you were afraid that it wasn't as clear to him. Even though you made it more than clear to him after he asked you out for coffee a few weeks ago.