8 Patient

Roman POV

I simply stared out of the window just as the rain started to fall. But the soft Christmas music didn't reach me. My thoughts were somewhere else entirely. In fact, I had to admit to myself that it had been like this for a while now. And I could even name the exact moment when things had changed.

I hadn't expected such a powerful impact from the whole thing, but I couldn't deny that it had happened.

"Roman? Roman? My boy, you haven't even changed yet! Are you all right?" I heard my mother ask from far away.

I slowly turned around and saw that she was standing at the bottom of the stairs, ready to go to dinner together, and looked at me worriedly.

It had probably taken her a few attempts to get my attention. I sighed deeply.

"Oh, sorry. I was thinking. I won't be long." I replied as I made my way upstairs to change.

"Hang on a minute... Come on, talk to me! Who is she?" she asked as she grabbed my wrist to stop me.

"What makes you think it's about a woman?" I wanted to know.

But all she did was give me a look. That one look she always gave me when she knew I was up to something. Did they teach mothers that or did it come naturally?

"All right... But we're late. We can talk about it over dinner." I then said and gave her a kiss on the cheek before hurrying up the stairs.

Half an hour later, we were seated at our table in the restaurant. The hostess had barely left before Mom was piercing me with her eyes.

"Well then... now tell me what's bothering you... Do I know her?" she began and took a sip of water that the waiter had just poured.

He gave us the menu cards and I thought about where to start.

"Do you remember that I told you I'd hired an assistant?" I asked.

"Of course I do. The young lady I spoke to when she gave me the information for the flight. A lovely voice and very professional." Mom replied.

"Well... it's actually the woman whose child I helped bring into the world. And I can tell you that she is a real gift from God. Just like her little one. She is definitely the sweetest little girl ever. Earlier today we were together at her ex's house, who by the way refuses to accept Clementine as his own. It hurts my heart to see them both so... so hurt. I would have loved to..." I began until the anger boiled up inside me again.

"Roman, what did you do?" Mom asked when she saw the look on my face and how my hand closed around the glass.

It almost broke, so I quickly loosened my grip.

"Nothing at all. Not yet. But it was damn hard, I can tell you that. When we were back at my place... there was this moment between us... and I don't know if the moment was just because Larissa... that's her name... was totally emotionally upset or whether it was real. Do you know what I mean? Am I making any sense?" I continued.

"It makes a whole lot of sense, son. You're in love with her. It's that simple. And you want to do the right thing. The only question is whether she's ready. However, she's been through a lot in the last few months. And I wouldn't be surprised if she's not. She's probably pretty scared. And she's possibly only thinking about her daughter and not about herself. If your feelings for her and her little girl are true, then you'll most likely have to be patient," Mom replied.

"Oh yay... My favorite word..." I mumbled.

"I know, I know. But in this case, it's a single mom. Let her make the first move." Mom said.

"I get it. She needs time. But that doesn't change the fact that she and Clem are damn important to me." I replied.

"Will you introduce her to me while I'm in town?" Mom wanted to know.

"What was that about patience? And you wonder why I can't be patient." I laughed.