Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Part 6

The Quidditch season had begun. On Saturday, Harry would be playing in his first match after weeks of training: Gryffindor versus Slytherin. If Gryffindor won, they would move up into second place in the House Championship.

Hardly anyone had seen Harry play because Wood had decided that, as their secret weapon, Harry should be kept, well, secret. But the news that he was playing Seeker had leaked out somehow, and Harry didn't know which was worse – people telling him he'd be brilliant or people telling him they'd be running around underneath him, holding a mattress.

"It's Hogwarts, would you expect anything less?" Blaise joked, and everyone laughed.

The day before Harry's first Quidditch match the five of them were out in the freezing courtyard during break, and Hermione had conjured them up a bright blue fire which could be carried around in a jam jar. They were standing with their backs to it, getting warm, when Snape crossed the yard. Harry noticed at once that Snape was limping. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Halley and Maliana moved closer together to block the fire from view; they were sure it wouldn't be allowed.

Unfortunately, something about their guilty faces caught Snape's eye. He limped over. He hadn't seen the fire, but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell them off anyway.

"Course he was," James poked his tongue out at the man, who childishly copied the movement.

"Real mature you two," Marlene laughed.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?"

It was Quidditch through the Ages. Harry showed him.

"Library books are not to be taken outside the school," Snape said. "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor."

"He's just made that rule up," Harry muttered angrily as Snape limped away. "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?"

"Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," Ron said bitterly.

The other Gryffindors laughed, and Snape scowled.

The Gryffindor common room was very noisy that evening. Harry, Ron, Halley, Maliana and Hermione sat together next to a window. Hermione was checking Harry and Ron's Charms homework for them. She would never let them copy ('How will you learn?'), but by asking her to read it through, they got the right answers anyway.

Hermione shot a glare at the boys, who immediately starting reciting a string of rehearsed apologies.

Harry stood up. "I'm going to ask Snape for my book back," he told them.

"Rather you than me," the others said in unison.

Harry made his way down to the staff room and knocked. There was no answer. He knocked again. Nothing. He pushed the door ajar and peered inside – and a horrible scene me this eyes.

Snape and Filch were inside, alone.

"Kinky."

"Ten points from Hufflepuff."

Snape was holding his robes above his knees. One of his legs was bloody and mangled. Filch was handing Snape bandages.

"Blasted thing," Snape was saying. "How are you supposed to keep your eyes on all three heads at once?"

"Why was he with the three headed dog?"

Harry tried to shut the door quietly, but –

"POTTER!" Snape's face was twisted with fury as he dropped his robes quickly to hide his leg.