Chapter 13: Return to Omashu (Part 1)

This is all my fault.

I stared, with mute horror, at my once-unconquerable city. The place I'd always felt so safe in, the place that was supposed to be far enough inland to withstand major attacks, and strong enough to hold off any that might come.

"I can't believe it," Aang said, shocked. "I know the war has spread far, but Omashu always seemed... untouchable."

"Up until now, it was," Sokka said sadly. "Now Ba Sing Se is the only great Earth Kingdom stronghold left."

Ba Sing Se will fall eventually. Just like your precious hometown.

I felt sick.

"Kioni?" I felt Katara's hand on my shoulder, and looked up to meet her worried gaze. "Kioni, are you-"

"I-I have to go in there." I struggled shakily to my feet, brushing off Katara's hand. "I have to help, I have to..."

"Kioni, wait!" Katara's hand closed around my shoulder again, more forcefully this time. "You can't just go rushing in there! It's not safe, who knows how many Fire Nation soldiers are in there?"

I turned to give her a look of utter disbelief. "That is my home, Katara. All my friends and family are in there. My grandfather is in there, everyone I've ever loved is within those walls, and you expect me to not go in there? What would you do it if were your village?"

"Kioni, calm down!" Sokka said, holding his hands out as Katara closed her mouth. "We don't even know if Bumi's still-" Katara and Aang whirled towards him, shaking their heads frantically, but the damage was done.

"What? If he's still what Sokka?" I yelled, my hands clenching into fists.

"... around," Sokka finished uncertainly. I made a noise low in my throat and started to stomp down the hill, wiping furiously at my eyes.

"Kioni, wait!" I heard Aang cry out. I whirled towards him, eyes flashing furiously.

"NO! You don't understand!" I shouted. "This is all my fault! It was my job to watch Zuko so something like this wouldn't happen, and I failed! I went and got my feelings hurt and blew my cover and because of it my home was captured! My grandfather entrusted me with the safety of our city, and I failed him, Aang, and now I don't even know if he... if he's..." I broke off in a sob, unable to keep in my tears.

Aang floated down to me and wrapped his arms around my waist. I hiccuped and sniffed as he looked up at me with wise, gray eyes.

"This is not your fault, okay?" he said. "This probably has nothing to do with Zuko, we haven't even seen him since the North Pole, there's no way he could've organized this massive takeover since then. And I was just going to say I'm coming with you."

"We are too," Katara said from behind him. "We're sorry Kioni, we didn't mean to upset you. Of course we'll come with you to help you find your loved ones. And you were right, if this were my village, I'd be doing the same thing."

I wiped my eyes and sniffed once more, ridding myself of the tears. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to shout."

"Let's just focus on kicking some firebender butt, huh?" Sokka grinned, and I laughed quietly, if not tearily. "How do we get in this place anyway?"

Aang and I exchanged looks. "We know a way."

_______________

"A secret passage huh?" Sokka asked as Appa flew us around and down to a giant pipe protruding from one of the mountains. "Why didn't we just use this last time?"