Chapter 8: The Siege of the North Part 1

"Sooo... do we have a plan?"

Stowing away on Admiral's Zhao's ship was about as exciting as being a prisoner on Prince Zuko's ship. Since I couldn't even attend the training sessions (apparently, most Fire Nation soldiers are firebenders - imagine that!) I spent most of my time holed up in my room, sleeping, thinking, or reading books on Fire Nation war.

The books were horrifying and fascinating at the same time. It was incredible how the Fire Nation seemed to think they were doing a favor to the world by extending their "gifts", as they called it. It made me wonder how many Fire Nation citizens actually knew the extent of the war, or what their beloved country was capable of.

"A what?" Zuko asked from below me. I rolled over to stick my head over the side of the top bunk and look at him.

"A plan," I repeated. "You know, for when we get to the North Pole?" Zuko blinked once, seemingly at a loss for words.

"Of course I have a plan!" he said irritably after a second. A few seconds of silence went by.

"... you're thinking of one right now, aren't you?" I asked, smirking. Zuko glared at me, but didn't deny it.

"The plan is, we get to the North Pole, get off the ship, and find the Avatar," Zuko said finally.

"No offense, but that is the worst plan I have ever heard," I scoffed, rolling back over.

"I'm working on it!" Zuko replied crossly.

"You know, I'm surprised I'm even allowed to go on this top secret mission," I said teasingly. "Aren't you afraid I'll sabotage your plans?"

"Trust me, I've thought of that," Zuko grumbled. "But it's not like I can leave you here."

"Why not?" I asked, my voice suddenly growing vulnerable. It was a question that had been on my a lot these past few days. Why wouldn't Zuko just leave me here, to the mercy of Zhao? What did I matter to him, besides as a prisoner?

It was few seconds before Zuko answered. "It's not safe for you here," he said softly. "I don't want you getting hurt." I bit my lip, oddly touched by his concern.

"Plus, you are my prisoner," he added, but I could hear a hint of humor in his voice. "I'm not about to give you up so easily." I groaned, flopping back down on the bed as Zuko chuckled quietly.

___________

I don't know what I expected of the battle. I knew the war against the Fire Nation had been raging for a hundred years, but I had nveer witnessed the terror of battle firsthand. Omashu was always a safe stronghold, deep enough into the Earth Kingdom to have withstood the clutches of the Fire Nation.

When the ship rocked with the force of hurling the first catapult, I sat up in my bed. "What was that?" I cried.

"Cannonball," Zuko muttered from below me. I lay back down and tried to fall back asleep, but I couldn't. As quietly as I could, I slipped down from the bed and crept towards the door, putting on my uniform and mask along the way.

"Where are you going?" Zuko asked suspiciously, sitting up also. "Kioni! Kioni, get back here!"

I ignored him as walked out of the room and towards the deck. My eyes widened with shock and horror at what I saw. What once must have been a beautiful ice and snow fortress was now being destroyed by fireballs. The pristine white was marred with dusty gray soot and smoke wafted from gaping holes in the ice.

"Kioni, get back down!" Zuko hissed, coming up behind me. "We can't be found!"

"How can they do this?" I asked, ignoring his words. "There are people living there, families, children. How can they so callously destroy people's homes like this?" Zuko grew silent.