Rat by Penelope Scott

"I said we needed a jet," Natalia sighs at her friend as we stare at the weird looking aircraft.

"Yeah, you know what you didn't give me? Time. Or money. I'm not made of jets."

"I thought you say he was best?" I turn to Natalia. "Like real pro?"

"Oh, I beg your pardon, Tsarina. Was the free flat and lifetime supply of kissel not to your liking?"

Yelena and I laugh.

"Don't let them wind you up," Natalia sighs.

"No, I take exception to impugning my professionalism."

"Well, you did set me up with a generator that crapped out after six hours."

"You, too, huh?" He scoffs. "Tag-team."

"Aw, he's sensitive. See why you keep him around." Yelena grins. "Emma, if you ever date a man, make sure he's sensitive and follows you around like a lost puppy."

"'Kay." I nod.

"Where's the rest?" Natalia asks. The man takes out a brown bag and opens it up.

"Voila."

"Ooh," Yelena takes a granola bar.

"Oh, I stashed that, like, five years ago." Natalia says as Yelena takes a bit. "How is it?"

"It's dry. It's really dry." Yelena and I hopped on the aircraft.

...

"Today is your lucky dad, Alexei." Natalia says into the earpiece as I show her the data, revealing the prison layout. All three of us wore White Widow suits. "Move to the door on the south wall... Go left... Just don't make a scene... You made a scene, didn't you?... We're gettin' you outta here."

I look down at the prison, seeing all the guards and inmates running. "Huh."

"Go to the upper level... Move your ass, super soldier."

"Nat, you super soldier too." I remind her.

"Thanks for the reminder." She sighs.

"Anytime."

"He's never going to make it," Yelena notices.

"Get me closer." Natalia says and Yelena looks at her. "You got a better idea?" 

And with the Natalia jumps out, landing her superhero pose.

"Such a poser," Yelena rolls her eyes.

The Russian soldiers start firing at us and I duck down as Yelena lowers the aircraft.

"Whoo! Sorry!" Yelena shouts. Then Natalia starts yelling at Yelena but we can't hear it, so Yelena gives her a thumbs-up. "We're all doing a really good job!" And flies the aircraft higher.

Suddenly a machine-gun starts firing at us.

"No!" Yelena gasps before turning to me, "Emma. It's time."

"I cannot control it!"

"But what if you can? And besides, we don't really have many other options."

I sigh, "okay." I walk over the open aircraft door, and hold on the wall before letting out a sonic scream. I hit the right sound wave, making the machine gun explode, taking the tower it was at with it.

"Ha!" Yelena grins.

I get back into place before noticing something. "Whoa..." An avalanche.

"This would be a cool way to die," Yelena's grin widens and I give her a look.