The Vessel

Stubborn, awful man! So selfish! So-

"Please, Tova! We must go to the boat before it's too late! The boiling red river has reached the edge of the village!"

"No! The gods are already angry with us! It is time to show them that we are obedient. We will stay here in our home, with the Old Ones, and pray."

I could not believe that my strong, proud husband was willing to accept this fate. One long, last look shattered my heart before I grabbed my nueheme sack and ran.

He ranted, cursing my existence, and I was afraid he would follow me. I did not look back until I reached the beach. To my relief and dismay, I was alone.

For a fleeting moment, I thought about returning--about dying in his arms as the mountain's angry red river consumed us. But the memory of my dream pushed the fantasy aside. Mahsha'ahmi, the Mother of all Women, had held me in her arms and told me it was my time to bear a child. Without my earth mother to advise me, I was uncertain if the fluttering in my belly was a sign of new life. Every night, I prayed for answers, and each morning, I awoke with the goddess's voice in my head.

The rickety fishing boat had been newly patched by the Old Ones. I prayed that it would carry us to-who knew where? Would we survive on the sea? Had I packed enough food and the watery jxxsuun roots? Would we find another island-other people--before we reached the place where sea meets sky?

I do not know what awaits us, little one, I thought, patting my belly, but we must try to survive!

Giving the boat my mightiest shove, I climbed in awkwardly. I grabbed a paddle and began splashing at the water. Women did not ride in boats, so I had no experience with how to move it forward. I closed my eyes and tried to remember Tova and the other men gliding swiftly over the waves. They pushed the water backward, it seemed. I tried over and over, and finally I began to make progress.

After several moments, I dared to look back at my beautiful home--the place my family had always lived. Tears filled my eyes. Maybe Tova was right. Maybe the gods would spare my loved ones. But what would become of me--the one who ran away?

A sudden burst of hot air swept my hair across my face. The earth rumbled, and with it, the waves rocked my little boat. I crouched low and hung on as the mountain blew apart before my eyes. The first blast had come early that morning and caused the red river to flow toward our village. Now, fire and red hot rocks filled the air, and a few burned my skin. Some embers landed in my boat, so I frantically scooped water with my hands to cool them. I wanted to paddle away, but I could not take my eyes off the horrifying spectacle before me. The red river flowed over my village, and the island looked like it was sinking. The screams of dying people--my people--rose over the terrible rumbling of the mountain as it belched forth fire and ash. I covered my ears and squeezed my eyes tightly shut, but I could still imagine Tova calling for me.

I do not know how long I sat there, watching and weeping. The boat drifted out to sea with the tide. The sky became dark with soot, and the rumbling of the angry mountain eventually gave way to the rumbling of a brewing storm.

Curled in the bottom of my boat with a blanket from my nueheme sack, I sucked on a jxxsuun root. I hugged my sack to my chest and remembered the summer my earth mother and younger sisters had pounded the palms into smooth fiber. What a beautiful time--when all we had to worry about was whether Liss would keep the blue dye for herself.

A cold rain woke me, and I knew I had been sleeping for a long time. Lightning streaked the sky as thunder boomed from the gods. I wept again and thought, I have displeased them because I ran away. I will die now. Please care for my unborn child, Mahsha'ahmi.

As I repeated my prayer, I realized that a steady light was emerging from the pelting sheets of rain. Soon, I could make out--what was it? Another boat! I was terrified. I could hear the voices of many men speaking a strange language--or were these the gods? Would I indeed die, or would I survive?

"Do not fear, my daughter," I heard the voice in my head say. "No man, no god is more powerful than a mother's love."