ONE | THE FIRST ENCOUNTER

**A/N: I present to you, the very first chapter of Business Calls (rewritten)! Please leave me a vote and/or comment if you enjoyed. I'm a dirty slut for in-line comments!

Beads of sweat formed below her hairline and trickled down the sides of her face. Her hands griped tightly onto the steering wheel as she drove down the busy street during rush hour.

Two things were making Felicity nervous; the fact that this was her very first time driving in a car alone, and the fact that she was already running five minutes late to her job interview—the job interview that she needed more than anything else in the world right now.

As she neared the intersection, she merged over into the left turn lane. Her impatience had her slightly distracted, so once she noticed the green light glowing, she started to turn without even looking.

Now one thing that Felicity often forgot to remember during her driving lessons was that you have to yield to the drivers opposite of you at a green light. It's the green arrow that allows you to turn right away.

So as soon as she was turning left, she was slamming her foot on the brakes. She nearly screamed realizing how close in proximity her car was to the one she had almost hit. The black Range Rover had halted to a stop too, and the driver proceeded to honk aggressively at Felicity while shouting profanities from his car, causing her to sink down into her seat in a sad attempt to hide from him.

The look on his face told her that he too was in a hurry to be somewhere, so she stayed put and watched as he hit the gas pedal and turned. The man in the car behind him motioned with his hand for her to go ahead and turn since she was already in the middle of the intersection, and he shot her a sympathetic look after seeing how young she looked.

Felicity shot him a grateful expression before turning with shaky hands. In that moment, she wanted nothing more than to crawl down into her black turtleneck and die.

Felicity tried her best to take her time and drive extra carefully after that, but there were still some hints of franticness and panic residing in her as she sat behind the wheel. Once she arrived at Belmonte Publishings, she parked her car rather crookedly—another driving skill that she did not possess—in the closest space to the front entrance that she could find then rushed inside. After a frustratingly long elevator ride, she made her way over to the receptionist.

Felicity was visibly out of breath as she spoke to the lady sitting at the desk, who made it a point to inform Felicity that she was late and Mr. Belmonte was a "very busy man with a tight schedule."

Felicity simply apologized and nodded before the lady, whose name was apparently Christine according to her name tag, raised a brow at the young girl standing before her, "How old are you anyway?"

Felicity gritted her teeth with irritation as she attempted to smile, "I would like to go in now if that's okay."

Christine scoffed before standing up and walking out from behind the desk, and Felicity took that as a sign to follow her. She was extremely tall and slim with long, platinum blonde hair falling smoothly down her back. Her hips swayed as she walked, and her Louis Vuitton red bottoms clicked loudly against the marble floor.

Felicity immediately noticed how put together all of the workers throughout the building were. The company obviously generated a lot of money, and it showed. Belmonte Publishings was the fifth most profitable publishing company in the world.

Yes, Felicity had done her research. And she was astounded by the company's success as an independently-owned business.

Christine guided Felicity down a long hallway, eventually stopping at a door to her right. She knocked on it three times and waited until she heard a voice tell her to come in. Christine opened the door, and Felicity walked in carefully.