Chapter 1.3 - Dead in the Water

We were at a motel and Dean was eating and doing research. Sam and I walked into the motel restaurant and saw a waitress talking to Dean. We walked up.

"Can I get you anything else?" the waitress asked. I saw Dean look up and grin. Sam and I came over and sat down.

"Just the check, please." I said with a smile.

Wendy glared at me and said "Okay." and walked away. I raised my eyebrow and smirked at her. Dean dropped his head, then looked at me. I sat down across from him.

"You know, Ali, we are allowed to have fun once in a while." Dean said and pointed to Wendy walking away. "That's fun." I gave him a 'stop talking' look. Sam looked at us. Dean handed Sam a newspaper.

"Here, take a look at this, I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water; nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago." Dean said.

"A funeral?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, it's weird, they buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure or whatever." Dean said.

"Closure? What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them." Sam said.

"Something you want to say to me?" Dean asked Sam. I knew there was going to be another fight, so I just slumped down into my chair.

"The trail for Dad. It's getting colder every day." Sam said.

"Exactly. So what are we supposed to do?" Dean asked.

"I don't know. Something. Anything." Sam said.

"You know what? I'm sick of this attitude. You don't think I wanna find Dad as much as you do?" Dean said.

"Yeah, I know you do, it's just..." Sam started and got cut off by Dean.

"I'm the one that's been with him every single day for the past two years, while you've been off to college going to pep rallies. We will find Dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there. Okay?" Dean said. Sam rolled his eyes. I glared at them both of them from my slumped position in my chair. Wendy then walked by, distracting Dean. I then sat up and wanted to talk about the case.

"All right, Lake Manitoc." I said, to be completely ignored by Dean.

"Hey!" I said, snapping in front of Dean's face. Dean returned his attention to me. Wendy glared again and I rolled my eyes.

"Huh?" Dean asked.

"How far?" I asked.

We arrived in Lake Manitoc and went right to the deceased's family's house. Dean knocked on the door. Will Carlton opened it.

"Will Carlton?" I asked.

"Yeah, that's right." Will said.

"I'm Agent Smith, this is Agent Ford and Agent Hamill. We're with the US Wildlife Service." I said and held up an ID. Will nodded, and then walked us to the back. Bill Carlton was sitting on a bench on the dock.

"She was about a hundred yards out. That's where she got dragged down." Will said.

"And you're sure she didn't just drown?" Dean asked.

"Yeah. She was a varsity swimmer." Will said. He looked out to the lake. "She practically grew up in that lake. She was as safe out there as she was in her own bathtub." Will said.

"So no splashing? No signs of distress?" Sam asked.

"No, that's what I'm telling you." Will said. "Did you see any shadows in the water? Maybe some dark shape breach the surface?" I asked.