Chapter 1.7 - Hookman

We were at a cafe, Sam was talking on a payphone while Dean and I were inside on our laptops.

"All right, thank you for your time." He hung up and walked back to the table.

"Your, uh, half-caf, double vanilla latte is gettin' cold over here, Francis." Dean said as Sam walked over.

"Bite me." Sam said as he sat down.

"So, anything?" I asked. Sam shook his head.

"I had 'em check the FBI's Missing Persons Data Bank. No John Doe's fitting Dad's description. I even ran his plates for traffic violations." Sam said.

"Sam, I'm tellin' ya, I don't think Dad wants to be found." Dean said. Sam looked disappointed.

"Check this out." I said and showed the boys an article on the computer about a kid named Rich's death. "It's a news item out of Planes Courier. Ankeny, Iowa. It's only about a hundred miles from here."

"The mutilated body was found near the victim's car, parked on 9 Mile Road." Sam read.

"Keep reading." I said.

"Authorities are unable to provide a realistic description of the killer. The sole eyewitness, whose name has been withheld, is quoted as saying the attacker was invisible." Sam read.

"Could be something interesting." Dean said.

"Or it could be nothing at all. One freaked out witness who didn't see anything? Doesn't mean it's the Invisible Man." Sam said.

"But what if it is? Your dad would check it out." I said.

We drove to the fraternity where Rich lived. The other frat brothers were confused at our arrival. We got out of the car.

"One more time, why are we here?" Sam asked.

"Victim lived here." I said. We walked up to some guys fixing a car.

"Nice wheels." Dean said. The boys look at him strangely.

"We're your fraternity brothers. From Ohio. We're new in town. Transfers. Looking for a place to stay. This is my girlfriend, she is helping us move." Dean said as he grinned. I smiled and leaned into Dean to pinch his forearm. He flinched a little and I had a big smile on my face and Sam was trying not to laugh.

We got in and went to a dorm. There was a shirtless frat boy in yellow shorts who was painting his face and body purple. We knocked on his door.

"Who are you?" the frat boy asked.

"We're your new roommates." Dean said. The boy gave me a weird look. "She's my girlfriend, helping us move." Dean said. The frat boy smiled and walked over to the boys. The boy held the brush and paint can out to Dean.

"Do me a favor? Get my back. Big game today." he said.

"He's the artist. Things he can do with a brush." Dean said as he pointed at Sam. Sam, mortified, took the brush and can. Dean sat on a chair and picked up a magazine. I went to stand next to Dean's chair when he pulled me into his lap.

"God, you're impossible." I said under my breath.

"So, Murph. Is it true?" Dean asked.

"What?" Murph asked.

"We heard one of the guys around here got killed last week." Dean said.

"Yeah." Murph said sadly.

"What happened?" I asked.

"They're saying some psycho with a knife. Maybe a drifter passing through. Rich was a good guy." Murph said.

"Rich he was with somebody?" Sam said.