Chapter 1.13 - Route 666

We were at a gas station. Sam was looking at a map laid out on top of the car, Dean had his phone to his ear. I was leaning on the car, waiting for one of them to say something.

"Ok. I think I found a way we can bypass that construction just east of here. We might even make Pennsylvania faster than we thought." Sam said.

"Yeah. Problem is, we're not going to Pennsylvania." Dean said. I gave him a confused look.

"We what?" I asked.

"I just got a call from an, uh, old friend. Her father was killed last night, think it might be our kind of thing." Dean said.

"What?" Sam asked.

"Yeah. Believe me, she never woulda called, never, if she didn't need us." Dean said. Dean got in the car. Sam and I just stared at him.

"Come on, are you coming or not?" Dean asked. Sam and I looked at each other, then got in the car.

"By old friend you mean...?" Sam asked.

"A friend that's not new." Dean said.

"Oh yeah, thanks. So her name's Cassie huh? You never mentioned her." Sam said.

"Didn't I?" Dean said. There was a long pause, Sam looked at Dean expectantly.

"Yeah, we went out." Dean said.

"You mean you dated somebody? For more than one night." Sam asked.

"Mhm." I said from the back, annoyance underlying my tone.

"Am I speaking a language you're not getting here? Dad, Ali, and I were working a job in Ohio, she was finishing up college. We went out for a couple of weeks." Dean said.

"And...?" Sam asked. Dean shrugged slightly.

"Look, it's terrible about her dad, but it kinda sounds like a standard car accident. I'm not seeing how it fits with what we do. Which, by the way, how does she know what we do?" Sam asked us. I glared at Dean with a smug smile. Dean looked shifty.

"You told her. You told her the secret! Our big family rule number one. We do what we do and we shut up about it. For a year and a half I do nothing but lie to Jessica, and you go out with this chick in Ohio a couple of times and you tell her everything?" Sam said. Dean stayed silent, staring straight ahead.

"Dean!" Sam yelled.

"Yeah. Looks like." Dean said. I rolled my eyes and leaned back in my seat. He continued staring ahead and put his foot down. Sam did the bitchface, shaking his head.

"Two black people were killed on the same stretch of road in the same way in two weeks." Jimmy said. Sam, Dean, and I entered the office.

"Jimmy, you're too close to this. Those guys were friends of yours. Again, Cassie, I'm very sorry for your loss." the mayor said. The Mayor left, Jimmy walked away. Cassie sighed and turned around, looking straight at Dean. Looking slightly apprehensive, Dean nodded at her and grinned.

"Dean." Cassie said.

"Hey Cassie." Dean said. They stared at each other for a long moment, not speaking. Sam watched and I was looking everywhere but at Cassie. Sam was smiling to himself.

"This is my brother Sam." Dean said. Cassie smiled at Sam, who returned one of his own. Her gaze returned to Dean. Sam noticed our non speaking moment and looked at me with an eyebrow raised.

"Sorry bout your dad." Dean said.

"Yeah. Me too." Cassie said. Cassie and Dean kept at each other.

We went to Cassie's mom's house because that's where she was staying at the moment. She brought in a tray of tea and cups for us while we were in her living room. I was sitting on the far side of the couch and I made Sam sit between Dean and I.