Chapter 1.11 - Scarecrow

"Sam, is that you?" John asked over the phone. Sam sat up in bed.

"Dad? Are you hurt?" Sam asked.

"I'm fine." John said.

"We've been looking for you everywhere. We didn't know where you were, if you were okay." Sam said.

"Sammy, I'm all right. What about you, Dean, and Ali?" John asked. Dean was waking up.

"Dude, shh, Ali's still sleeping." Dean said.

"We're fine. Dad, where are you?" Sam asked. Dean sat up in bed.

"Sorry, kiddo, I can't tell you that." John said.

"What? Why not?" Sam asked.

"Is that Dad?" Dean asked.

"Mm, shut up, I'm tired." I said, slightly waking up. I turned to look at the boys, who were both sitting up. I sat up to look at them and they both looked tense.

"Look, I know this is hard for you to understand. You're just gonna have to trust me on this." John said.

"You're after it, aren't you? The thing that killed Mom." Sam and I looked at him with a look of concern.

"John?" I asked.

"Yeah. It's a demon, Sam." John said.

"A demon? You know for sure?" Sam asked.

"A demon? What's he saying?" Dean asked.

"I do. Listen, Sammy, I, uh...I also know what happened to your girlfriend. I'm so sorry. I would've done anything to protect you from that." John said. Dean pulled on a shirt that was laying on the bed.

"You know where it is?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, I think I'm finally closing in on it." John said.

"Let us help." Sam said.

"You can't. You can't be any part of it." John said.

"Why not?" Sam asked.

"Give me the phone." Dean said.

"Listen, Sammy, that's why I'm calling. You, your brother and Ali, you gotta stop looking for me. All right, now, I need you to write down these names." John said.

"Names? What names, Dad—talk to me, tell me what's going on." Sam said.

"Look, we don't have time for this. This is bigger than you think, they're everywhere. Even us talking right now, it's not safe." John said.

"No. All right? No way." Sam said.

"Give me the phone." Dean said.

"I have given you an order. Now, you stop following me, and you do your job. You understand me? Now, take down these names." John said. Dean grabbed the phone from Sam.

"Dad, it's me. Where are you? ... Yes, sir. ... Uh, yeah, I got a pen. What are their names?" Dean said and wrote stuff down.

We were driving down the road. Sam was in the driver's seat. I was sprawled out, asleep in the back seat.

"All right, so, the names Dad gave us, they're all couples?" Sam asked.

"Three different couples. All went missing." Dean said.

"And they're all from different towns? Different states?" Sam asked.

"That's right. You got Washington, New York, Colorado. Each couple took a road trip cross-country. None of them arrived at their destination, and none of them were ever heard from again." Dean said.