Chapter 1.14 - Nightmare

Sam started up from his bed, suddenly wide awake. He looked across the bed to where I was sleeping and Dean was on the couch, asleep. He sat for a moment, then moved into action, flipping on the light switch and shaking his brother.

"Dean. Dean." Sam said. The moment Dean stirred, Sam rose and started gathering his things.

"What are you doing man, it's the middle of the night." Dean asked. Dean raised himself on his elbows.

"We have to go." Sam said.

"What's happening?" Dean asked.

"We have to go. Right now." Sam said. Sam grabbed his and my bag and walked out. Dean looked over at, who was still fast asleep.

"Why haven't you woken her up?" Dean called to Sam.

"If you want to wake her and deal with her wrath, go ahead." Sam said.

"Good point." Dean said.

Dean was driving, Sam was on the phone. I was awake in the back and the boys had filled me in on Sam's dream of a man dying in his own garage and being locked in his car by an invisible force.

"McReady. Detective McReady. Badge number 158. I've got a signal 480 in progress, I need the registered owner of a two door sedan, Michigan license plate Mary-Frank-six-zero-three-seven. Yeah ok, just hurry." Sam said on the phone.

"Sammy, relax. I'm sure it's just a nightmare." Dean said.

"Yeah, tell me about it." Sam said.

"I mean it. Y'know, a normal, everyday, naked-in-class, nightmare. This license plate, it won't check out. You'll see." Dean said.

"It felt different Dean. Real. Like when I dreamt about our old house. And Jessica." Sam said.

"Yeah, that makes sense. You're dreaming about our house, your girlfriend. This guy in your dream, you ever seen him before?" Dean asked.

"No." Sam said.

"No. Exactly. Why would you have premonitions about some random dude in Michigan." I said.

"I don't know." Sam said.

"Me neither." I said.

"Yes I'm here." Sam said into his phone. He listened, glared at Dean, then picked up his pen. "Jim Miller. Saginaw, Michigan. You have a street address? Got it. Thanks." Sam said. "Checks out. How far are we?" Sam said.

"From Saginaw? Couple of hours." Dean said.

"Drive faster." Sam said.

The Impala cruised to a stop at Jim Miller's house. The boys and I saw the Emergency vehicles and someone on a stretcher being zipped into a body bag. The boys turned to each other in the car, Dean concerned, Sam upset. Dean approached the watching crowd.

"What happened?" Dean asked a woman in the crowd.

"Suicide. Can't believe it." the woman said. Sam and I walked up behind and stood on the woman's other side.

"Did you know them?" Sam asked.

"Saw him in every Sunday at St. Augustines. He always seems...seemed so normal. I guess you never know what's going on behind closed doors." the woman said.

"Guess not." Dean said.

"How did...ahh. How are they saying it happened?" I asked.

"I heard they found him in the garage, locked inside his car with the engine running." the woman said.

"Do you know about what time they found him?" Sam asked.

"Oh it just happened about an hour or two ago. His poor family. I can't even imagine what they're going through." the woman said. A woman stood on the front step of the house, crying and leaning against a middle aged man. A young man stood behind them, looking distraught. Sam watched, grimacing, then turned to walk away. I followed and Dean noticed and followed us back to lean against the Impala's bonnet.