Chapter 1.20 - Dead Man's Blood

The boys and I were at a small diner. Dean was flipping through a newspaper, Sam on his laptop, and I was writing in my journal. Sam looked over at me.

"What are you always writing in that thing?" Sam asked.

"Things, this and that, nothing and everything." I said.

"Ok, fine I get it." Sam said. I smiled at him and went back to writing.

"Well dude. Not a decent lead in all of Nebraska. What have you got?" Dean said as he folded the paper.

"Well, I've been scanning Wyoming, Colorado, South Dakota. Here. A woman in Iowa fell 10,000 feet from an airplane and survived." Sam said.

"Sounds more like 'that's incredible' than 'the twilight zone'." Dean said.

"Yeah." Sam said.

"Hey, you know we could just keep heading east- New York, upstate. We could stop by and see Sarah again, huh? She's a cool chick, man. Smokin'. You two seemed pretty friendly. What do you say?" Dean asked.

"Yeah I dunno, maybe someday. In the meantime we got a lot of work to do Dean, you know that." Sam said.

"Yeah all right. What else you got?" Dean asked.

"Ahh, A man in Colorado, a local man named Daniel Elkins was found mauled in his home." Sam said.

"Elkins? I know that name." I said as I looked up from my journal.

"Me too." Dean said.

"Doesn't ring a bell." Sam said.

"Elkins...Elkins...Elkins." Dean said under his breath.

"Sounds like the police don't know what to think. At first they said it was some sort of bear attack and now they've found some signs of robbery." Sam said.

"Mm-hmm." Dean said and started flicking through John's journal

"There, check it out." Dean said and showed us a page in the journal.

"You think it's the same Elkins?" Sam asked.

"It's a Colorado area code." I said.

We got to Elkins cabin at night. The door creeped open to reveal Sam putting away his lock pick, Dean with a flashlight.

"Looks like the maid didn't come today." I said as I looked at the mess.

"Hey there's salt over here, right beside the door." Sam said.

"You mean protection against demon salt, or 'whoops I spilled the popcorn 'salt." Dean asked.

"It's clearly a ring. Do you think this guy Elkins was a player?" Sam asked.

"Definitely." I said. Sam came up behind Dean and I.

"That looks a hell of a lot like Dad's." Sam said as he noticed the journal Dean and I found.

"Yep, except this dates back to the '60s." Dean said. We moved into the other room and shone our flashlights around the destruction, including up at the hole in the roof.

"Whatever attacked him, it looks like there was more than one." I said.

"Looks like he put up a hell of a fight too." Dean said.

"Yeah." Sam said. We looked around the room. Dean crouched to get a closer look at the floor.

"You got something?" Sam asked.

"I dunno. Some scratches on the floor." Dean said.

"Death throes maybe?" I suggested.

"Yeah, maybe." Dean supposed and grabbed a page from a notebook, placed it over the marks and rubbed a pencil over it to get an outline. "Or maybe a message." He handed the paper to Sam, who held it between us both.