Tennis

Half-excited half-nervous you find your seat at the back of the college main hall.

Everyone in the hall has already started cheering for the upcoming lists of the students who will take part in the inter-college sports competition.

As you wait for the selected students' list for tennis on the screen, you cross your fingers.

But when your name appears on the screen, you almost fall from your chair.

The tennis coach for your university seems to have selected you, but in a different match type. You are selected in the mixed doubles competition, with the.....head-girl of your class.

"Well, she is a good tennis player, cheer up bud" Says your friend sitting beside you

That's true, you think

Sadie was a great tennis player, sure. But what wasn't she good at? She was one of the most intelligent student of your class, and she could sing and dance as well. And, and.....

And she was hot, You think

You sure have talked with her a couple of times and she was always a kind friend but....

But what if I fuck up? What if I make a mistake in front of her.....what if we lose?

"What's wrong? You both will do well, chill" Says your friend and pats your back

"Thanks, I hope so bud" You say to your friend

–––––

It's early morning of the day after the announcement of the students for the sports competition.

The coach has asked you to be present for the practice today.

As you enter the tennis court, you see her standing with the coach and again cross your fingers as you approach her.

"Y/n" Says the coach, "I saw you at the selection game and I really liked the way you play with that racket"

"Good morning" Says Sadie and extends her hand towards you with a smile on her face

"Oh...thanks Mr.Grover. Good morning Sadie" You greet her and shake her hand

She is so cute...

"Let's do some hard work and win this Tennis cup" Says the coach with enthusiasm and puts his hand on both of your shoulders

Focus, y/n.

––––

On First day and first match of the inter-college competition, you wake up early and reach the court one hour before the match because Sadie thought it would be better to practice just before the game for warm-up.

Sadie again had reached the court before you.

As soon as you put down your kit-bag, you remove your t-shirt, underneath which you have wore your tennis shirt.

"Hi....oh" Says Sadie raising her head towards you from her kit bag on the ground

"Hey" You reply as You pull down and adjust your shirt

"Working out lately?" She says to her kit-bag

Give me the cup already...

"Oh yes" You blush

––––

After winning the first 3 matches, you both advance into the semi-final and then into the final.

"It's either today or never" Your coach says to both of you with the same enthusiasm of practice day, "I wish you both all the success"

"Thanks coach" Says Sadie, "We'll do our best"

You both fist bump before the start of the match, which has now become a team ritual.

"I have a plan...which may or may not work" Says Sadie quietly as she fist bumps

"Yeah?"

"Go for his back-hand. I've seen some clips of his matches where he hasn't been able to play that shot well" Says Sadie, "I might be wrong but it might work as well I guess"

You do as she says and it works for a couple of times but then he returns your serves efficiently.

In the last set, the opponent fumbles to return an easy serve at the end of the match to lose the game.

Sadie jumps happily and wraps her hand around you to give you a hug.

"Well played sadie" You laugh as you hug her back, "congratulations"

"Thankss and congrats to you too, You played really well" She says happily

Your coach, Mr.grover hands you both the trophy on the podium at the award ceremony as everyone from your class cheer for you and Sadie.

That wasn't so bad.....not bad at all, You think as you walk back outside the court after the award ceremony, I didn't fuck up, and we won.

That's when you see the notification on your phone and for a second, you wish you hadn't. It's a message from your best friend congratulating you for the win :

Mike : "Congratulations on that win bud. I watched the whole game from the seat ticket that you got for me. That was a great game. Anyways.....ASK HER OUT"

Atleast he cannot yell at me through a message, You think, because you know he would've yelled at you if he was in front of you right now.

Mike: "Don't ignore me and ASK HER OUT"

Well, I guess I was wrong.

"Hey" Says someone from behind you

"Oh hi" You say, putting your phone inside the pocket, "Wassup"

"Mr.Grover asked me to give you this" Says Sadie and hands out a card, "They will be awarding the winners in the college next Monday as well"

"That's great" You say and take the card

"Alright then......see you soon" She says and proceeds to walk back

"Umm...Sadie"

"Yes?" She turns around

Please don't fuck this up

"I was wondering if-", You begin, "I was- wondering if you would like to go out on a date with me?"

"Yes, Sure" She says with a smile on her face, "I was actually wondering the same"