Chapter 3 : Maya (All set to change my life)

I'm all set to leave for my hostel...
It's 2 pm in the afternoon, I convinced Sabrina for a cab, that she doesn't have to come with me. Like c'mon it's a hostel room, everything will be there. A bed, a study table, a cupboard and a roommate.
Dr. Sharma helps in loading the luggage.

"Don't forget to call us, when you reach!" Sara screams on her way while bringing another box.

"What is it now? You already packed more than enough things for me!" I protest.

"It's your favourite choco chip cookies! How could I forget this." She gives a positive and emotional smile.
"Have you told Neha about your admission?" She continues.

"Uh... honestly, she's neither watching my messages nor receiving my calls, I have to meet her...." I say with a low and disappointed tone.

And with this Dr. Sharma calls me as it's time now to leave.
I give a long and tearful hug to Sara remembering everything she did for me....from helping me to get rid of my step mother and giving me food and shelter to my education and college entrance exam. She was always there for me, and no matter how much I had to suffer, she was like an angel in my life.

We both walk towards Dr. Sharma, standing beside the cab, waiting for us.
"Take care of yourself Maya." His satisfying smile with tears in his eyes are making me to hug him and wail. But I control it somehow and hide my face to swipe my overflowing tears.

"Sara....Dr. Sharma....both of you....I don't know how to say it, how should I thank you, but, Thank you so much for everything you did for me!!" I raise my hands to join them but Sara stops me and hugs again.
"No Maya, whatever happened with you, you didn't deserve it, you never did." Sara cries.

We all swipe our years and I step forward to sit inside the cab.

"Don't forget to call us everyday, and take care of your diet...I am letting a thin wood go, but next time I see you, I want a fat panda..." She teases while crying.

Dr. Sharma and Sara beckon at me....then I look straight with clearing my face and taking 2 or 3 deep breaths.

I lift my phone to see if Neha saw my message or not. And like past 3 days, she hasn't. I let it go for now, but I'll keep trying to contact her.
Neha and me are best friends from high school. When I was a bit weak in studies due to my family dysfunctioning, she always helped my in my notes and explaination. But after my father died, we didn't talk then.

I take a look outside and there are really big buildings and beautiful houses. I always had a dream that I'd buy a home on my own for me and Papa. After becoming a doctor, I'd definitely fulfill this dream of mine, but Papa... Papa wont be there, but I have him in my heart, though I have just a few memories with him due to his absence most of the time, because of his job. But still I have this memory of him bringing choco chip cookies for me oftentimes while returning home, reading me stories before sleeping...2 or 3 times only, but for me, that matters too. Visiting so many exhibitions in the city... supporting me in Dr. Sharma's wellness programs...

Sometimes I think my life is so much like Cindrella's life....in the name of parents I had Papa only...then he got remarried to this woman who treated me like Cindrella's step mother treated her... similar step siblings issues, but I think the only difference here is that, no prince came to save me. Even Dr. Sharma and Sara showed up when I put myself together and didn't actually needed anyone. I feel that's the difference between the fairytales and the reality...
You are on your own kid, you always have been.

*The cab stops*

I come out of the cab and unload my luggage, the driver asks me if I need any help but he couldn't believe his eyes when I lifted my luggage all by myself. Well I may look like I'm malnutrition, but I do have strength equal to a gym girl.
With hiding my smiling face, I walk towards my huge hostel building.

"Good afternoon, I'm Maya, Maya Singh." I introduce myself to a woman, who's sitting at the entrance of the corridor.

"I got admission in the VVMB college through entrance exam..." I continue with hopes in my eyes that she'd understand without any explanation.

"Oh! Yeah! Your room no. is 29." She says with fulfilling my expectations.

"Thank you!! Key...??" I ask.

"The room is opened, your roommate arrived already." Says she, and here my mood turns off.

I take stairs with an upset face. Though I already knew about this "roommate thing" but still, I wish I could have my own private space, where I can do whatever I want to...like reading books, watching horror movies... cooking and eating....
"Ohho!! Maya! Stop it. Stop being greedy. Let's just be happy with whatever you're getting, this college and hostel itself is a luxury."

I step inside the room.
And this girl is sitting on the bed which is kept leaning to the wall and so many boxes over it and on the floor too.
She is watching phone and has no idea that I'm standing at the door.

I make my way inside the room, pushing boxes and other stuff aside.

"Oh! Hii! You are the roommate right?" Finally succeeded to get her attention.

"Yeah! Hii, I'm Maya." I introduce myself while still pushing stuff aside.

"Hey!! I'm Riya. Nice to meet you!" She introduces.

"Wait!! Maya Riya...Riya Maya..." She scares me with that "wait".

"We have quite rhyming name!" She continues with a loud laughter.

I show her a fake and non interested smile.

And start setting my stuff.
There are two cupboards just beside of the beds that are on the opposite sides of the room. The room is quite congested but still have enough space to roam a little bit.

After keeping my clothes in the cupboard and making my bed, I sit down and take a deep breath and drink some water.

Riya also does all her settings and we both talk then.
We discuss about the entrance exams and how we got into college.

I had to tell about my father's death and I said that my mother also died, which ofcourse she is. For me.
She felt sorry like everyone does.
And I just go to study.

It's around 7 pm right now and I am not really in mood of studying so I just decide to go out a bit.

"I'm going out. I'll be back within 15 minutes." I tell Riya, she's again watching phone and say yes.

I take my jacket and move outside.

I go on the lane that runs from the hostel to the café which is situated at the end of at least 25-30 steps away.
I cannot see the name clearly so I keep on going....

"The Sapphires Café and bookstore"
I read the name from a bit away of the cafe's door.

"Wow!! It's a bookstore, and looks quite nice and positive too!" I whisper after observing the crowd inside the café.

I want to go inside and see how it's like, but I'm so much tired right now and tomorrow is also the first day of my college, so I should take rest now. My back hurts so much.

I turn back and walk towards my hostel.

"Hey, I'm back!" I say while taking off my shoes.
But as I entered the room, I find Riya sleeping... actually snoring. She made me remember Sabrina.
"Oh shit! I forgot to call Sara!" I tap my forehead.

And instead of calling, I just message her that I'm all set. And too much tired too, so going to bed. Will talk tomorrow.

She replies back with good night and take care.

I just go to bed, wishing now I wouldn't have any nightmares and sleeping paralysis anymore as I'm so much moved on from everything now.