Chapter 14- Kids

A short yet emotional chapter 

"Ezra." Vander looked scared. There was a crowd of people behind Ezra now. Ezra ignored them as she looked down at Jinx who was watching blood drip down her arm. "Jinx, I'm so sorry." Ezra cupped Jinx's face. "I'm so sorry all you got dragged into this shit-show." Tears slowly rolled down Ezra's cheeks. "Don't be. We're all here for you," Vi smiled, she was leaning next to Jinx. "and Eliza." Silco added, Vander nodded in agreement. "That's a lot of blood." Jinx looked down in her lap and on the floor where blood had been polling. She looked paler than usual. "She needs help, soon." Ezra scooped Jinx up, princess style. "We can take her back to the tree." Ekko jumped. Ezra nodded and held Jinx close as they ran.

When they returned to the tree, someone started sewing up Jinx. Everyone was originally waiting together but Vander and Silco had been locked in a separate room. They started fighting like children. Ekko placed a few of the firelights in there with them so they didn't kill each other. Ezra, Vi, and Ekko waited outside as Jinx was being stitched up.

"She's going to be okay." Ezra walked into the room with Vander and Silco. Both released a sigh of relief. "Are you two done fighting?" Ezra looked back and forth at both of them. They stayed quiet. "What even happened? My mom used to tell me stories of how the three of you were inseparable." Ezra sat down at the table with them. "We shared a dream, we wanted to be free from Topside and their leftovers." Silco said calmly. "Then someone became power hungry." Vander spat. "And someone else gave up and tried to kill me!" Silco snarked back. "And then you tried to kill Vander and so on; this is stupid! You can still work together. I've seen both of you work as individuals, together you compensate where the other struggles. Get over yourselves, will you?" Ezra made it all sound simple, "Let me just make one thing clear, if I have to pick one of you it's neither. I'm picking my three lovely children." Ezra stood up. "Not to be a bitch, but Eliza would be disappointed. In both of you." Ezra walked out, shutting the door behind her. Silco and Vander were left shocked.

Vander and Silco spent the next few hours talking out their problems. Ezra went to visit Jinx. Ekko and Vi were also in the room. "All my kids together." Ezra smiled in the doorway. "Ezra!" Jinx exclaimed. "Hey J, how are you feeling?" Ezra sat on the bed. Jinx didn't answer. "So not great, huh?" Ezra kissed Jinx on the forehead. "How are you feeling?" Vi moved closer to Ezra, she was sitting in a chair by the bed. "I'll feel better after a nap, but for now I want to be with the three of you." Ezra smiled. Ekko, who was sitting on the other side of the bed chimed in, "What now?" All three of them looked at Ezra. "I wish I could tell you. All I know is that I'm not leaving any of you. Even if Vander and Silco don't work it out." Vi's eyes widened, "I didn't even think about that." Ezra shrugged, "Don't worry, I'll make them work it out." Ezra smiled, joy filled her as she looked at three of her five kids all grown up. This made her miss Mylo and Claggor more than ever, but she knew she would see them again.

Ezra absorbed all that she could. This would come to be her favorite memory. Her kids, although not biological, were her pride and joy. She wished she could've been there for Vi and Ekko more, but now that she had them back she wasn't going to lose them. The three of them kept her together, they were her reason. It was moments like these that made Ezra realize why Eliza ran away when she found out she was pregnant. She understood the sacrifices Eliza made, and would be willing to do the same. She would sacrifice Vander and Silco for them. Not kill them, but run away and keep her kids away from the trouble that (unfortunately) comes with living in the Lanes. Ezra felt complete with her kids.

A few days later, things had settled. Vander and Silco hadn't killed each other and were slowly working back to being friends. Jinx returned to her normal bubbly self. Her and Ekko returned to their childhood friendship. They were inseparable yet again. Vi left the tree to work out things with Caitlyn after she knew Jinx would be okay. Vi also 'admitted' that she had a crush on Caitlyn to Ezra. Ezra was able to spend more time in bed so she could regain more of her health. The past week had left her bedridden. Bedridden through Ekko's instruction of course. Ekko had never lost his compassionate heart. Ezra saw it when he would take care of her, or spend hours with Jinx after she had a bad day. Ezra, for the first time since her mother passed, felt fulfilled. She felt home.