HOT MESS

BRIGHT GREEN EYES MET GRAY AND RED EYES

BRIGHT GREEN EYES MET GRAY AND RED EYES. Natasha's lips partially opened, a breath held in her chest.

"...Tom?" She tried, hoping that it was still her friend. The room was silent, and Natasha could practically hear her heart beating. He blinked, eyes trailing over her body lazily. "Tom?" She tried again, raising a brow as he shifted his attention to her face.

He went to step forward but was stopped by the runes. He raised a brow, elegantly arched across his face. Anxiously, Natasha waited for any kind of response.

Hell, even if he tried to kill her, that would be the answer! This... didn't tell her anything about the situation. She had always been able to read Tom, but she only knew a part of Tom. For all she knew, adding this soul piece changed everything about him.

While Tom didn't know what would happen exactly, he hypothesized that adding his soul back would give him some of his mannerisms back. He created this particular horcrux in his mid-twenties, and his words, "Those years were a hot mess." Now, did she know what that necessarily meant? No, but most people in their twenties were hot messes.

In his case, Natasha guessed that he was more impulsive and cocky. Sure, he was still cocky and impulsive, but it has to start somewhere.

"Nervous, are we?" He chuckled, placing a hand on his chest, and pressing down on it. "I know I'm gorgeous, but don't give yourself a heart attack, Natasha. I'd rather not have to find another heart to link myself to."

Oh, great.

He was a flirty asshole in his twenties. That's just what Natasha needed. She rolled her eyes, raising an unimpressed brow in his direction. Tom chuckled, genuinely amused by the situation. "I thought we agreed that I was the one who playfully flirted, and you just sat there and looked pretty." Natasha retorted, stepping closer to the ritual circle.

Kneeling, Natasha broke the runes' connection by sliding her finger through it. "Huh," Tom hummed, meeting Natasha's eyes when she looked up, "You look good in this position."

"Really?" Natasha asked, kicking his legs out from underneath him. "Funny, I can say the same thing about you." Standing up, she offered a hand for Tom to take, pulling him up to his feet.

"Easy on the attacks, Nat; I just got this body." He stepped out from the circle, tying the sheet around his body. He crossed his arms over his chest, tilting his head down to meet her gaze.

She scoffed, giving him an exasperated look. "Please, you're fine. The only thing that is hurt is your ego." She quipped back, starting to clean up the ritual. "Hell, it wouldn't hurt to knock you down a few pegs."

He rolled his eyes but started to help her clean up the room.

The days that passed were different. While she didn't have to walk on eggshells, she was still caught off guard by some of his comments. Most of the time, she was sure Tom had no idea what he was saying.