Chapter 16

The next day Angel and Vaggie didn't have to go to work so they decided to do Charlie's plan of collecting their old toys from the past and dividing them up to give to Alastor's children. The toys were in surprisingly good condition despite the many years of being kept in an old club house in the woods. Almost none of them had one trace of rust or mold or anything that ruined its value. Even their old boards games hadn't turned soggy from the moisture of the bayou.

"I can't believe we never thought of this before." Vaggie said looking through one of the boxes. "With Alastor having to be so tight with money, the kids need toys and special things when they can get em."

"I know." Angel said going through another box. "Hey look it's my old recorder. Remember how I would use it to make my voice sound deeper so I could order things off the shopping channel?"

"Yes and as I recall, once your mother got the bill she took that thing and decided to use it to record everyone of your mess ups, so you'd never forget." She chuckled.

"Oh yeah." He groaned. "Now I remember why I stopped playing with this thing."

"Aww look!" Vaggie cooed at two dolls she found in her box.

One doll was ceramic with shiny black hair tied into bun and pinned with a flower. It wore a bright red and black dress, a shawl over its shoulders, and flamenco shoes on its tiny feet. a The other doll was china with honey colored locks curled and held together by silken ribbons. It wore a dress of cream lace and golden petticoats, opera gloves over its arms, and healed shoes that laced up over its legs.

"It's Harmonia and Melodie, mine and Charlie's favorite dolls. Her mother bought them for us one Christmas. We used to play with them all the time. I'm sure Ella and Carrie will love them."

"I'll never understand why girls like dolls so much. They give me the creeps. Even creepier is that they kind of look like you two."

"That was the idea genius. When Charlie and I were little, I wanted to be a dancer and she wanted to be a singer so for Christmas her mother gave me a flamenco dancer doll and Charlie an opera singer doll. I was so happy when she gave it to me, it was the most expensive toy anyone had ever given me."

"And that doesn't creep you out?"

"You'd have to be a little girl to understand."

"I don't know." Angel said picking up the box, as he and Vaggie their things toward his car. "I mean something made to look like you, something that's not alive. Sounds spooky."

"You've watched too many horror movies."

"Speaking of horror, look what just pulled up."

Just across from them on the parking lot was Katie Killjoy talking on the phone with someone. She seemed very upset and was being very loud.

"Look Malcom it's nothing to worry about." She said, not noticing Vaggie or Angel. "That hick having a wife won't change anything. You'll have those kids, I'll make sure of it."

"What does that broad mean she'll make sure of it?" Angel whispered to Vaggie.

"I don't know but hand me that recorder of yours and keep quiet."

Angel nodded and did as Vaggie said. Next She carefully and without making a sound, crept up behind Katie but not close enough to give herself away. Then she pressed the record button on the device.

"I'll plant drugs in his house or I'll pay some neighbors to say that he's been abusing the kids or something like that. Nobody will ever believe him...Yes you'll have them by the end of the month. All four of them...But don't forget your part of our agreement. I get half of what the government pays you for those brats."