Prologue

Once, long ago, where the only living things on Earth were Gods and Goddesses, a king of Gods stood at the top of the tallest mountain, overlooking the land.

"It seems so bare," a voice came from behind him.

"So it does," he replied, thoughtfully.
"Too bare."

"May I suggest something?"

"Go ahead, Alouné."

"Well, I've been tinkering around with the trees and sand, and some other things I'd rather not mention, and created what I call a 'human'."

"Show me this 'human'," Caolebus commanded.

Alouné lead him to a cave at the base of the mountain and showed him her creation.

"They look like us, but have reproductive organs, which, instead of babies just being made by magic, are things that let the baby come out of the woman. Although I am thinking about giving the men the ability to have a baby, too. The reproduction only takes place when the male sticks-"

"I don't need to know that. What I need to know is their purpose."

Alouné whispered it into Caolebus's ear so the 'human' can't hear.

"Ah. I see. How do they survive?"

"Same way we do. They eat, it's just something a little different than us."

"How are they going to repopulate when there is only one?"

"He will get a mate, once I fix a few tweaks. I will make sure to make a few more men and women so as no one has to marry their siblings."

"Good, good. You may do so as you please," Caolebus nodded and walked off, leaving Alouné to her work.
___________________________
"So much petty squabble over marrying someone," Caolebus murmured, watching a fight outside a tavern.

"Oh, dear Gods and Goddesses of this land, please hear this prayer. I wish to find a mate, one made for only me, and me alone. I don't know how I'll know it's her, but I hope you would give me a sign, if anything. Please," a male voice whispered at the Shrine of the Gods.

"Hm... Alouné!" Caolebus yelled.

"Yes, Caolebus?" The one he called bowed.

"Did you hear the prayer just now?"

"Yes, sir. I believe I have found a solution. Everyone will have to have their memory erased once it's done, though."

"What is it you plan?"

"Everyone will have a tattoo on the place their soul mate will need it most. The tattoo will be of something important to their beloved, such as a family crest or a favorite phrase."

"Good, good. I shall put everyone to sleep and replace their memories as you do as you plan."