Chapter 3

"I didn't even get to swim," I groaned as I walked back into the locker room behind Sasuke.

"I didn't either, dobe."

"So, that's not my problem!"

"Hn."

"Whatever," I mumbled and got dressed into an orange and black shirt and blue jeans with rips at the knees. I looked over and saw Sasuke, with a black shirt and dark blue skinny jeans on, walk out the locker room door into the schools hallway.

"Oi! Sasuke! Come back here you-" I suddenly trip over my own feet and get a face full of floor, "-asshole."

I groan as I start trudging after Sasuke, hoping he didn't go too far. I shiver as I pass by the science lab, the science teacher, Orochimaru, being in there giving me the creeps. There are rumors he's a pedophile, and while I don't believe them, there's just something about him that makes me weary around him.

I start to jog and look for Sasuke, checking every room to make sure he's not hiding from me. Finally, I give up and just start to head home, feeling a little breathless when I can usually continue for ten more minutes. This is nothing compared to Gai's gym class. Just the thought made me want to pass out.

"Naruto? Is that you? What are you doing? You should be at swim practice!" A voice yelled from behind me.

"Iruka! Hi! I haven't seen you since... This morning!" I smile sheepishly, trying to get out of what was to come.

"Naruto..."

"Okay, okay! I kind of..." I finished with a mumbled.

"What? Speak louder, Naruto, or no ramen for you tonight!"

I gasped in horror and quickly repeated myself, "I fell into the pool and lost consciousness and Sasuke saved and did I mention Sasuke's my soul mate and-"

"Okay, okay, okay! Slow down and try not to use run-on sentences," Iruka gently said.

"Well, I walked out of the locker room, ready for swim practice, since Kakashi said I didn't need to try-out, when everyone saw my tattoo. Gaara said something about it, so I turned around to reply when everyone gasped and Sasuke cussed. I then noticed that there were tail-like things wrapped around him so I looked at his back and found out he's my soul mate. In shock, I fell into the pool and, in more shock from the water, I breathed in and fainted seconds later. Next thing I know, I wake up and cough up water. Kakashi told me to go home, so here I am."

Iruka just looked at me and I started to get worried.

"Get in the car and wait for me there. I'll be there in a minute," Iruka said quietly. I quickly ran to the car and got in. A minute passed, then another. After ten minutes, I saw Iruka walk out of the school and head towards the car.

"Sorry it took so long," Iruka smiled, but it seemed forced. He started the car and peeled out of the parking lot.

"Iruka! Why are you going so fast?" I screamed, hurrying to put on my seat belt.

"Oh, no reason."

"Where are we going?" I asked, trying to calm down from the speed.

"Oh, no where in particular. Just the hospital."

"What? No! No, no, no, no, no!"
___________________________
"Naruto! Don't run into the street, okay? You could get seriously hurt, and don't wonder off on your own, please. I'll be over here if you need anything," Iruka said before he started to walk to a park bench a few feet away.

"I won't, Iruka!" I ran to the play ground and got into a game of kickball.

At my turn in the outfield, a kid kicked it all the way out into the street.

"Go get it, Naruto!" A kid shouted.

"But Iruka said not to go out into the street!" I yelled back, unsure of what to do.

"What, you too chicken?" Another kid mocked.

"Yeah, he's a chicken!" Others joined in wish clucking noises.

"I'm not chicken, just you see!" I quickly ran out into the street, not watching for cars.

"Naruto, no!" A voice yelled, but was drowned out by a screech. Suddenly I felt a huge impact and then nothing.
___________________________
"Oh, Naruto. My dear, sweet Naruto. Please wake up," a sobbing voice cried out in the darkness.

"I know that voice, but from where?" I thought, groggily.

"I should've kept a closer eye on you, I know I should've! It's all my fault that your in this mess. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, Iruka. You didn't do anything. it was out of your hands," another, deeper voice tells the crying one.

"Iruka?"

"Oh, Kakashi!" The voice, Iruka's voice, cried and started sobbing even more.

"Don't cry, Iruka! It's okay! I'm okay!" I wanted to shout, but my lips wouldn't move.

For days, I tried to talk to Iruka, but my mouth never opened.

After what seemed like an eternity, I finally made a noise, at least, I think I did, if a cry of my name in shock wasn't any indication.

"Ir... Iru... Iruka?" I finally got passed my lips. My voice sounded scratchy even to my ears.

I don't remember much of what happened after that, just Iruka telling me gently about the crash and that I had been in a coma-like state for a couple of weeks. He said I had a few cracked ribs, a broken leg, and a fractured shoulder. When the doctor came in, she said they had to keep me a few more days for observation. In the end, they kept me there a week and a half, though no one told me why.