Chapter 9 - Mateo?

🏳️‍🌈 LUBERTO WAS OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED CANON OMG?!?! THIS WAS NOT ON MY 2024 BINGO CARD LMAO. I LOVE IT RAHHHH ‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

~

Luca's POV:
Back when I was in school, I had a hard time socializing and making friends. Giulia was a social butterfly and I was too nervous and shy to talk to other people. I kind of never had any growing up, and the first friend I made was Alberto. And technically...he was the one who started the friendship.

But I was never alone, thankfully Giulia was always with me and I felt so grateful to have her there with me during most classes, lunch, and break times. However, there was only one class I had without her.

When the first day of classes began, I walked into my first class I had: Astronomy. Of course, Giulia wasn't in this class since she didn't really like astronomy the way I did, so that meant this would be the only time I'd be totally alone.

Astronomy was my favorite class at school. For the first few days, the teacher wanted us to know each other better. She assigned lots of fun get-to-know-me group activities and I saw friend groups start to form this way. I thought 'good for them' since they made it look easy.

After a few weeks, we got our first project. She paired us up to make a replica of the planets orbiting the sun. It definitely seemed like a lot of work to do alone, so I was glad I would have someone helping me.

My partner for this project was my classmate, Mateo. He was kind of like me, although he sort of talked with a few students here and there, but he mostly kept to himself. He would always fiddle with his glasses or slide his hand over his blonde wavy hair when he would have trouble with assignments.

Once we say next together to discuss the project, he introduced himself with excitement. I was a bit taken aback and tried my best to match his energy. After a while, our conversation went from the project to our lives, like where we were from, what we liked, etc. Of course, I couldn't tell him I was a sea monster. But maybe one day I would have.

From then on, we became friends. We sat next to each other every day during class and talked a lot, sometimes getting called out by the teacher. We would hang out outside of school too, like visiting each other's houses or going to the arcade. I was happy that I made a new friend on my own, even Giulia was proud.

When I had to go back to Portorosso, we hung out one last time. At this point, he knew all about Alberto, so he asked me if I was nervous about seeing him. Mateo didn't know I liked Alberto more than a friend (no one knew actually), so I answered honestly to his question. I was so nervous yet excited to see him all at the same time. Mateo then suggested that he might visit me here one day, and I was happy that he would come all the way out here for me.

He is such a good friend!

~

When I saw a familiar phone case following my  movements, I immediately thought of Mateo. And I was right. As I turned my head toward the phone, I saw the wavy blonde hair boy that I have missed. Before I knew it, I let go of Alberto's hand and ran towards Mateo.

Alberto's POV:
As I was going head to head with Giulia, I felt my right hand feel cold and empty. I looked to my right to see that Luca had let go and was running towards a local corner store and jump out of sight.

Giulia looked at me with a confused look, and I looked at here with an even more confused expression on my face. We both booked it to where Luca disappeared.

"Hey Luca! Why'd you lea-" I stopped talking when I saw my boyfriend in the arms of another guy. My eyes widened, and I felt my heart grow weak and start to ache. I was too shocked to say anything.