Paris

I can't believe my battery died, and my friends are nowhere to be seen. It's just like me to get lost in a foreign city. Scanning the crowds for any familiar faces, I step off the sidewalk and onto the road. There's a loud honk, and when I snap my head to the left I see a car speeding toward me.

- Look out!!

A hand grabs me by the arm and yanks me back to the sidewalk. I lose my balance, only to fall back into a muscular body. I see strong fingers wrapped tightly around my shoulders, keeping me upright.

- Be careful!

- I'm so sorry! I think I stepped on your shoe.

- I meant to be careful when you cross the road. There are reckless drivers around here.

I swipe my eyes down the stranger's body, noticing the way his muscles flex when he slides his hands into his pockets.

- Actually, it was my fault. I was looking for my friends and didn't pay attention to the traffic. How can I thank you for saving my life?

His lips tilt up into a small but charming smile, and my heart picks up the beat. He must be the hottest man I've ever seen.

- That's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?

- Regardless, thank you.... Em...

- Elijah.

He extends a hand, and I notice an elegant signet ring with the initial H on his little finger.

- Ella.

His fingers wrap around mine, and I feel a tingle running to the back of my neck.

- Where are you from?

- New York.

- Would you look at that? Two New Yorkers meeting in Paris.

- You are from New York? It sounds like a nice coincidence.

- Indeed, it is. So, Ella from New York. Are you in Paris for business or pleasure?

My lips tilt up, and his eyes follow the movement.

- Pleasure.

My voice comes out more sultrier than I planned. In response, he looks me over with an appreciative glance. I feel every nerve ending coming alive under his scrutiny.

- It's my first time visiting Paris, so I got lost. What about you?

- I'm all about pleasure on this trip, just like you. But it isn't my first time in Paris.

- Lucky! It means you already know all the cool spots.

- If you need a tour guide...

- Ella! There you are!

- Those are the friends I was telling you about. I should go, they looked like they were about to declare me as a missing person.

My friends shoot me looks of mingled worry, frustration, and panic.

- Wait!

Elijah catches me by the elbow, sending another wave of heat over my body. I wonder how those large hands would feel wrapped around my hips. I close my eyes, imagining what it should be like to be feasted on by this gorgeous man. Blood rushes through my body as he steps closer, and I feel my senses drowning in his musky cologne. Am I for real? I'm having steamy daydreams with this perfect stranger.

- Are you still with me? You said something earlier about paying me back for saving your life.

I snap my eyes open and notice Elijah's full lips curled into a knowing smile. It's as if he can see right through my façade and into my filthy imagination.