One last time

Two hours later, I'm in Sadie's kitchen with a cold cup of coffee I barely took a sip from.

- What do you mean you're going to break up with Elijah? Shouldn't you talk to him about it first, and see if you can come up with a solution?

- We met last night.

- And?

- He tied me to the bedpost, gave me the best orgasm of my life, and made me forget my own name.

- Damn! So the sparks are still there.

- I'm as physically attracted to him as I was back in Paris. That was never our problem. But it's like I told you yesterday. I can't live in fear of being exposed and putting my family through the pain of public shame.

- You shouldn't be ashamed of loving him, not when your sister knows everything about it.

- You know that's not what society will think, and my mother has just lost her husband. I can't do that to her. And I can't do it to myself either, not anymore. The pressure of this secret is making me feel sick.

- Even though you still love him?

- The kind of love that he and I share is the one I write songs about, the one that never fully goes away. No matter where life takes us, Elijah will always remain a part of me.

A tear rolls down my cheek, and Sadie squints her eyes in concern.

- What now?

I take a deep breath, and my stomach clenches at the sense of impending loss.

- Now I need to talk to Tristan.

A few hours later, I'm sitting across the desk from Tristan in his elegant office.

- Thank you for seeing me on such short notice.

- Of course. You're my fiancée, after all, or at least that's what I'm hoping for.

His eyes twinkle playfully, but all I manage is a strained smile.

- It's a shame, you know?

- What is?

- Seeing such a beautiful woman look so sad.

His compliment makes me feel a bit better. Despite myself, I feel my cheeks warm up, and Tristan smiles in response.

- That's more like it.

- I asked to see you because I have an answer to your proposal.

I inhale a ragged breath, and he looks nervous while waiting for my response.

- I'll agree to be your fiancée, but only if you're willing to give this a real shot.

His eyebrows draw into a frown.

- Does that mean you want us to have a real relationship?

- I don't want to enter a loveless marriage, and I'm not interested in having a secret lover, as you suggested. If this isn't an option for you, I'm going to have to turn down our family's proposal.

- I told you when we first met that I'm not looking to tie myself down to one person.

He stands up, circles around his desk, and stops next to my chair, towering over me.

- But I like you, Ella. I like you a lot.

He offers me his hand and helps me up. Even when I'm standing, I still have to lift my chin to meet his eyes.