Double Date

- What do you mean what did I do last night?

- You saw Elijah, right?

- I did, and I am sorry I didn't check with you before.

My eyes flash with regret, and Victoria's brows dip into a frown.

- Why would you check with me again after I told you I'm fine with it?

- Then why are you mad?

- I'm mad because Elijah came home early last night, looking sullen. What happened? Did you fight?

- Oh no, we actually had a nice conversation and agreed to take things slow.

- I see. Did you give him blue balls, then? Is that it?

- Victoria! It's so weird talking to you about this.

- Well, I'm happy you're going for it. And don't worry, I'll help you keep this a secret, just like Elijah's been helping me and Ryan with our secret.

- I still feel uncomfortable about this whole situation. I mean, he's still your husband.

- Why don't you come over to our house tonight? I'll invite Ryan, and you'll see that there's nothing to feel weird about.

- You mean like a double date?

- Exactly! I'm positive once you see how chill Ryan and Elijah are around each other, you'll feel more comfortable.

- Okay, let's do it.

After work, I head home to change for my dinner at Victoria and Elijah's house. This feeling of doing something bad has been nagging me ever since I let Elijah into my apartment. I think Victoria's idea of a double date won't make things any better. I doubt that tonight will be able to ease any of the guilt I'm feeling. On the other hand, I am excited to meet the man my sister is in love with.

Time later. As soon as I ring the doorbell to my sister's house, Elijah opens the door. The long exhale he lets out in relief at seeing me brings heat to my cheeks. He takes his time inspecting my body, his gaze caressing my curves thoroughly.

- You look dashing.

- Ella, you took the words right out of my mouth, although dashing is not what I was going for. That dress looks like a work of art on you.

- Stop flirting with her and get her inside, Elijah!

- Is Ryan already here?

- He is. Come on, I'll introduce him to you.

I follow Elijah into the living room, where Victoria and her boyfriend share a loveseat giving each other googly eyes. He stands quickly when he sees me and walks across the room to give me an embrace.

- I've been dying to meet you, Ella.

- Likewise, Ryan.

Victoria joins the group, intertwining her fingers through Ryan's.

- That's my fault. I should've introduced you two ages ago.

- I am glad I know now. I can tell by that gleam in your eyes that you're smitten, sissy.

- It takes one to know one.

She winks, and I feel Elijah's intense sidelong gaze.

- What are you having for dinner? It smells delicious.

- Ryan's lasagna and I promise it'll be the best thing you've ever eaten.

- Ryan is a chef.